BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anyone here work out or exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Napalm Dave37

Napalm Dave37

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Hguols wrote:
NapalmDave))) wrote:
i have started a new routine about 3 weeks ago and have stuck to it well. 30 minutes on my gazelle. 10 minutes on my stationairy after breakfast every morning 40 total. then during the afternoon every otherday all of my cleaning and laundry adding up to about an hour or 2 depending on if the kids are over. on alternate days a 3 mile fast walk once in the afternoon and once around 7pm. this routine has been working well for me. it has helped my blod pressure tremendously and helped my sleep as well.

Sounds great Dave! Yeah, I sleep much better with physical exercise in the equation as opposed to sitting in an office chair all day.

I did want to mention one thing - exercising after a meal is hard on the heart, cause blood goes to help your stomach address the food.

....I didn't know how long the 10 minutes on a bike was after breakfast.
i did not know that. glad i do now. i will just do the 40 before eating now. thanks for telling me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dave80tunes
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 pm

My college's track team's workout absolutely sucks balls. They have it posted on the wall in the gym, and its pretty much all machine exercises done to failure. The only good movements are the press and the bench press, but those arent going to help you sprint faster. Where are the cleans? Where are the snatches? Sprinting requires a good amount of explosive strength, and you sure as hell wont get that from using a damn leg press machine that doesnt even go up to 200#.

End rant.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Yeah. I never thought that the explosiveness you'd get from cleans/snatches would help in sprinting. I always thought it was if you wanted to lift a car off someone, or tear a live puppy in half.

Man, 185lbs for pullovers is effin KILLING me! The last few times I worked out, I could only do 1 1/2 - 2 sets of 10. They make my arms and chest SCREAM at me! ....it doesn't hurt much at all after I lift, but still. It's enough of a new kind of sore to where I won't try maxing out until I can get a better grasp on these. >_<
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Quote :
Yeah. I never thought that the explosiveness you'd get from cleans/snatches would help in sprinting.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how strong Olympic sprinters are. Ben Johnson apparently squatted 620 at a bodyweight of 200.

Of course, strength training builds more fast-twitch muscle fibers, so that pretty much destroys that "Muscles slow you down!" myth.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:59 pm

This video is so awesome.

And whats ridiculous is that this isnt the official world record anymore, due to the changing of weight classes.
Back to top Go down
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Tallerthanatree wrote:
This video is so awesome.

And whats ridiculous is that this isnt the official world record anymore, due to the changing of weight classes.

OK, who's got the vidoe of Phil Hartman from SNL where he was the Russian Weight lifter who tore his arms off trying to lift?
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Took some footage of my workout today. A little different routine than usual.

First set (my warmup actually) was 275lbs on the bench press. No spotter.
I know, I know. No spotter with that kind of weight normally = quite dumb, but I'm confident in my strength to do a set of 10. That went off without a hitch.

Second set, 295lbs on the bench press. Had a spotter.
I don't think I got 10 myself. It's hard to tell how much he's taking off from looking at the video, and it was impossible to tell while I was pushing. I'm guessing I pushed 8-9 of them myself, even though he starts touching the bar after the 7th push.

Third set, 315lbs on the bench press. It's actually the body weight OF my spotter. ^_^
I can't quite tell if I got 6 myself. I think I did, but it was obvious I needed some help the rest of the way (to get 10 reps) The 9th and 10th push, I can tell he's taking off some pounds just because of his grip on the bar and how tense his arms are (at least compared to the 295lbs push)

Got a video of me doing barbell pullovers. 185lbs, one set of 10. (I actually did three sets of 10 for my workout, but the first attempt was the prettiest one. ^_^)

Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:23 pm

I hardly ever lift with a spotter. Pretty much just when I'm benching heavy.

Thinking I'll do some snatching tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:35 am

"Always lift with a spotter!" says the Health and Wellness professor, as I front squat outside of the rack with no spotter. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:19 am

Tallerthanatree wrote:
"Always lift with a spotter!" says the Health and Wellness professor, as I front squat outside of the rack with no spotter. Awesome.

The way I look at it, if you don't lift with a spotter, you're not pushing enough. ^_^

...when they HAVE to help you on the last couple, then you're doing it right.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Hguols wrote:
Tallerthanatree wrote:

The way I look at it, if you don't lift with a spotter, you're not pushing enough. ^_^

The only reason I dont lift with a spotter is that most lifts dont require one. Back squatting in a rack? No need. Deadlift? Press? How do you spot those? As for front squats, you can dump the bar pretty easily if you get in trouble. I typically get a spotter on bench if I'm doing heavy singles, doubles, or triples, or on a last set of 5.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Hguols wrote:
Tallerthanatree wrote:

I don't need a spotter because I am not lifting to get bigger. I am lifting to build endurance strength.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Saw 2 guys doing power cleans in the gym today. I have hope for humanity once again.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Something clicked with my pullovers yesterday.

I no longer have to grunt sometimes, and I noticed they were easier.

I'll try to max out next week.
I don't want to max out Saturday - I have a date that night.
I'll just work out.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Form issue maybe?
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:42 am

Another Health and Wellness class in the gym today. Gotta love overweight teachers preaching the gospel of "toning", when in fact that doesnt exist. There's muscle and there's fat. If you want to appear "toned", build some muscle by getting stronger, and lose fat by running sprints and not eating ****.

PR'd on power clean as well.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Tallerthanatree wrote:
Form issue maybe?

That could be it!
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Probably gonna throw hammer for the track team.
Back to top Go down
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

Number of posts : 758
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:06 am

Hey Hguols... I know this is random, but my brother wants to know how many times you think you can consecutively bench press 225 pounds, lol....
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:46 am

Usvart Jorge wrote:
Hey Hguols... I know this is random, but my brother wants to know how many times you think you can consecutively bench press 225 pounds, lol....

Well, it's not something I do on a regular basis. I haven't messed with that weight for a while.

I can tell you how many consecutive pushes I can do of 245lbs, my body weight, on a bench press.
(which I do AFTER my workout, as a bit of a finishing touch)

....and that's 17 reps.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Oh yes. This is how I max out.

I was very pleased with this.

For those who can't see in the video, that's a:
45lb olympic bar
45 lb weight x 6
25lb weight x 2
5lb weight x 2
2 1/2 lb weight x 2

380 effin pounds....
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Impressive. But I think you would be able to do more if you were to change your technique:

This definitely made a difference for me. Might even get you into the 400s.

And apparently I've lost 7 pounds of bodyfat in the last month.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Why am I flashing back to a guy telling me how to curl a 70lb weight when he couldn't do one rep of a 40pounder?

Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:59 pm

I know, I knwo, but this works. This is how pretty much all powerlifters bench.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Insane. Most people you'll see doing this kind of weight will barely break parallel, all the while descending really slow, and wearing squat suits. Really curious to see how this guy does in 2012.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 10 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Anyone here work out or exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com