BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anyone here work out or exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 am

See, I don't do Lifts and stuff. Mainly because I don't know what I'm doing. I know, I should find a partner, but I'm anti-social as Hell. The other day I found a routine that smoked me pretty good:
25 push-ups
25 bicep curls with 15 lbs. each arm
25 reps on xxxx ab machine with 25 or so lbs
25 reps on xxxx tricep-push-down-thingamadobobber each arm
25 reps on xxxx leg-push-up-work-the-quads-doo-hicker

That's one rep. I do two, then raise the weights by about 1/2 fore the next 2. Then I run for around 25 minutes. Not sure how long exactly, but it's as long as "Caught Somewhewre In Time", "Wasted Years", "Heaven Can Wait", and "Lonliness Of The Long-distance Runner." Great running CD, just skip Sea Of Madness. Keeps a good pace, with a little break, then by the end, I'm sprinting. I thought I was doing well, until I read about Olias doing 13 and-a-half bajillion sit-ups while being hit with a sledgehammer and throwing logs. Now I feel insecure.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:24 am

Crossfit definitely made me lose some strength, as I only managed to get 320 for one single, and had to take it down to 305 for the rest, and even that felt hard. Weird, since I was able to do that for reps, not too long ago. It'll go back up pretty quick, though.

Aside from that, shrugged 365 for a bunch of doubles, and finished off with a few sets of 3 on dumbbell rows with the 80s.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:03 pm

SSG Jake wrote:
I thought I was doing well, until I read about Olias doing 13 and-a-half bajillion sit-ups while being hit with a sledgehammer and throwing logs. Now I feel insecure.

Haha, not lately. The holidays are taking their toll, my friend.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:20 pm

I've worked out 4 times in the last 2 days, and I'm doing deadlifts and BTN push presses in the morning. **** overtraining.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 am

Good workout today. Squatted 330, shrugged 405, and rowed 275.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Thinking I may go back to CFFB, but program my own strength workouts, rather than the ones listed on the site, and then do the prescribed Workout of the Day.
Back to top Go down
stefan

stefan

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:51 am

Who needs a stinky gym when you can just go somewhere and hike a mountain. Overexercise does not really build overall strengh, it can weaken certain connective tissues and put excessive weight on your body which needs to be consistantly maintained in order to not become mr. flab.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 pm

stefan wrote:
Who needs a stinky gym when you can just go somewhere and hike a mountain. Overexercise does not really build overall strengh, it can weaken certain connective tissues and put excessive weight on your body which needs to be consistantly maintained in order to not become mr. flab.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:20 pm

stefan wrote:
Overexercise does not really build overall strengh

There is no such thing as overtraining: http://www.chaosandpain.com/content/youre-overtrained-huh-its-all-your-*******-head

Quote :
it can weaken certain connective tissues

Wrong. Weight bearing exercise strengthens connective tissues around joints.

Quote :
and put excessive weight on your body which needs to be consistantly maintained in order to not become mr. flab.

1. What exactly is wrong with gaining muscular bodyweight? Muscle is more dense than fat, and thus weighs more and takes up less space.

2. Muscle doesnt "turn into fat". They're two different tissues. Weight lifting increases your metabolic rate, which actually causes you to lose fat, assuming your diet is on track.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/45663/bodybuilding/can_weightlifting_improve_your_overall_health.html

Do your research before making such claims.
Back to top Go down
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Tallerthanatree wrote:
stefan wrote:
Overexercise does not really build overall strengh

There is no such thing as overtraining: http://www.chaosandpain.com/content/youre-overtrained-huh-its-all-your-*******-head

Quote :
it can weaken certain connective tissues

Wrong. Weight bearing exercise strengthens connective tissues around joints.

Quote :
and put excessive weight on your body which needs to be consistantly maintained in order to not become mr. flab.

1. What exactly is wrong with gaining muscular bodyweight? Muscle is more dense than fat, and thus weighs more and takes up less space.

2. Muscle doesnt "turn into fat". They're two different tissues. Weight lifting increases your metabolic rate, which actually causes you to lose fat, assuming your diet is on track.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/45663/bodybuilding/can_weightlifting_improve_your_overall_health.html

Do your research before making such claims.
Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Pwned%20DH
Back to top Go down
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Now that we all enjoyed some epic pwnage, what do you workout gurus know about "Muscle confusion?" That is the whole "P90X" thing, the idea that your workouts need to be widely varied. I ask because I do pretty much the same thing every time I work out. I work my arms and chest (doing bicep curls, tricep overhead thingies and push-ups) my Quads (with the seated "Push the wieght up" machine), My core(abs, back muscles, and obliques) and then I run. I do this every other day. How much should I be varying my routine? Reember, I'm not TOO concerned with bulking up, more just trying to be toned and maintain my PT score.

EDIT: Yes, I am slowly adding weight to my routine. I'm mainly asking how varied it should be. Like, should I be changing the muscles I work, or just the different ways I work the muscles I am?

Last edited by SSG Jake on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:01 pm

If you put stress on your body, your body will adapt accordingly. That said, I dont think muscle confusion really exists, at least not in the P90X understanding. I'm not sure about doing the exact same thing every time, though, since if you're just using the same weight, rep schemes, etc., you wont really make progress. You could try an upper and lower body split, maybe a MTRF format.
Back to top Go down
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:43 pm

I would say Diet, Brain and Thyroid chemistry are some big factors in what your body can do.. fitness wise. They sort of set the presets to what you can do.

And I agree with my brother that there is such a thing as over training.. of course there is.

For example if you have a brain with a high amount of serotonin and dopamine.. you will be thin and lean quite easily ( regardless of exercise )and have higher natural energy levels. The adverse will be the case if you have low seritonin and dopamine levels. etc.

If your thyroxin levels are low.. you will be overweight, weak and tired.. no matter how well you eat or workout.

And there are other biochemical factors, also.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm

I think you can over-train as well, but all of that is without reason. If I did nothing but bench press for 3 hours a day, I'd just tear and tear and tear. I wouldn't actually build much muscle.

It's more than possible to work out DAILY and RIGOROUSLY and get stronger, but you've got to work different muscle groups. This approach doesn't interest me. I don't know if its 12 hour shifts or that I'd rather fatigue every muscle group in one round and rebuild on total days off.

Ash is right as to what he mentioned as far as those factors acting as "workout presets". Good point there chief.

As for muscle "confusion", I don't buy it. It makes sense to me that if you want to get better at something, you keep doing it..... not do something else. I've had a more or less unchanged workout for months. Lifting weights is more than just a strength thing, there's technique involved as well, and with the same exercises being done, techniques can be refined.

If I want to get better on the bench, I bench, within reason, and keep at it.

I think ANYONE who says the gym is unnecessary is uneducated. (or they might have a character defect where they try to null the importance of something they can't do well.)

Without breaking down and rebuilding specific muscle groups, all you'll have is presets. You could have the best thyroid and body chemistry in the world and still be crushed by someone who WORKS to deliberately get stronger.

The best way to do that, in my opinion, is with free weights.

Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I still dont buy into the overtraining thing, considering old-time strongmen trained heavy pretty much every day, before steroids even existed. Hell, Hermann Gorner deadlifted 727# with one hand in 1920, about 20 years before steroids.

Overtraining is not training to the point of injury, by the way. It is used to refer to when your workload exceeds your recovery time.
Back to top Go down
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Unusually Strong men usually are strong men not do to over training but due to body chemistry and genetics. In my opinion.

Even some small skinny people can be stronger than some muscular work out fanatics. Strength is not always do to the bread and butter workout ideals. But I don't mean to debase those things.. just wanted to throw in my two cents.. .based on experience and observation and study.

By all means.. if you like working out and it makes you happy.. keep it going.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:54 pm

They were definitely genetic freaks, but anyone can find success as long as they bust their ass in the gym and eat right.

Quote :

Even some small skinny people can be stronger than some muscular work out fanatics.

I've seen this as well, actually. I read somewhere that bodybuilder Jay Cutler only deadlifts in the 400s, while a guy like Le Maosheng puts that weight over his head at a bodyweight of about 135.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Kamerad Ash wrote:

Even some small skinny people can be stronger than some muscular work out fanatics.

I can't stress the emphasis on the "some". It's not a normal occurrence, but it does happen, and happens even less often with people who don't even rigorously work out. (now, when I say work out, I mean deliberate training, not none of this "my job keeps me in shape" poppycock.)

Kamerad Ash wrote:

Strength is not always do to the bread and butter workout ideals.

Technique plays a part as well as the mental aspect. Also, it depends on what you want. Naturally, if someone wants more toned arms and shoulders, hiking a mountain as your brother suggested wouldn't be the recommended exercise.

Kamerad Ash wrote:

I plan on it! I have two desk jobs. TWO. .....so I'm more than happy to get off my duff and spend quite a bit of time a week improving my body.

Back to top Go down
stefan

stefan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 am

Bodybuilding very often can become quite the obsession, usually from a sense of insecurity, prison time, getting your ass kicked often, or very often an overweight man trying to hide his weight problem.
Being strong and healthy is important, but a man does not need to be as strong as an ape. Man has intellect at his disposition also and even in the history of warfare and killing is this proven.
In combat the mastery of the sword was more important than just brute strength, just as complex tactics, and martial arts have proven themselves far more important than just being a meathead.

You may be as strong as 5 men; but with one bullet, sword or axe blow you will just be a dead strong man.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 am

1. I'm not a bodybuilder.

2. Why choose between intellect and strength?

3. Since everyone dies, you may as well... Not put in any effort? **** that.
Back to top Go down
stefan

stefan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:56 am

I am not talking about normal inshape men, rather the meathead( someone whose entire identity is wrapped around his bicep size and workout rep ratios). I also did not say anything about choosing between intellect and strength, however the meathead I refer to has chosen strength obviously, simply because all his time is spent in one endevour.

Yes, we all die.

Yes, it is good to be both healthy, strong, and intellectual. Treating the body God has given us with proper care.

Yes, the human body is a lot weaker than most people think. Aging happens rapidly and then death.

Yes, the most important thing of all is Salvation, Jesus Christ.

This is called Balance.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:08 am

stefan wrote:
Bodybuilding very often can become quite the obsession, usually from a sense of insecurity, prison time, getting your ass kicked often, or very often an overweight man trying to hide his weight problem.
Being strong and healthy is important, but a man does not need to be as strong as an ape. Man has intellect at his disposition also and even in the history of warfare and killing is this proven.
In combat the mastery of the sword was more important than just brute strength, just as complex tactics, and martial arts have proven themselves far more important than just being a meathead.

I'm confused. Why do you have so much against working out? It obviously sounds like you know little to nothing about it. All I've heard from you is slander. Why be so bitter about this?

Actually, lets start from the top. Why are you even in this thread? It's specifically for those who partake in this way of life. Take after your brother and find something better to do than troll and start trouble.

Not that it won't make any difference, but I'll tell you why I exercise.

- Physically, it makes me feel good. It gets the blood, endorphins and other feel good chemicals flowing.
- I get a sense of accomplishment. I set a goal, I meet it, I set a new one. It adds fulfillment to my life.
- I don't have any physical problems. No aches, no pains other than the typical muscle fatigue. I was plagued with poor circulation, high blood pressure and back problems. I haven't had these in a while. I sleep better at night, I have more strength.
- Some women find big strong guys attractive. They feel safe with them. *shrugs* (this is actually pretty low on the list - most of me working out is for me)

I work out on average, 10 hours a week. That's hardly something that makes my time unmanageable.

And like tallerthanatree said, I can have strength and knowledge. Maybe if you stop sniffing in gyms, you could have strength and knowledge instead of a resentment and knowledge.

stefan wrote:

You may be as strong as 5 men; but with one bullet, sword or axe blow you will just be a dead strong man.

That's very true.... Though a bullet, a sword or an axe aren't attached to anyone. You won't always have them .....but you'll always have your muscles.

And muscles aren't always about strength.
Ever had a woman grab your arm or chest and swoon?

....or do they just grab your bitterness and retch instead?

Back to top Go down
stefan

stefan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:30 am

I work out all the time, just not in man's gym. I prefer nature, God's gym.

If you have to workout to attract women, then that is one valid reason. I have never had that problem. I would say that most women are more attracted to a man with lean stong muscle than just needless bulk.

Yes, I am a Troll, so deal with it or cry like a baby about it, thats up to you. Last I heard you have not been crowned King of Blabberboard, though I am sure you try to be king to everyone around you. That is because you lack emotional strength.

As far as fighting without weapons, adrenilline and hate are all you need, just like with weaponry.

No matter how strong you are, there is always someone stronger.

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

I think you are a big boy, and can deal with criticism.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:13 am

Kamerad Ash wrote:
Unusually Strong men usually are strong men not do to over training but due to body chemistry and genetics. In my opinion.

Even some small skinny people can be stronger than some muscular work out fanatics. Strength is not always do to the bread and butter workout ideals. But I don't mean to debase those things.. just wanted to throw in my two cents.. .based on experience and observation and study.

Kamerad Ash wrote:

If your thyroxin levels are low.. you will be overweight, weak and tired.. no matter how well you eat or workout.

And there are other biochemical factors, also.

You really don't know anything about body chemistry if you believe we are naturally so predermined that change is impossible. I suggest reading any nutrition textbook on the market. Essentially what you are saying is that Olympic athletes were born that way.

Oh, and being overweight is a product of consuming more calories than your body is burning. Your body chemistry may decide the rate at which it burns calories, but to lose or gain weight is a matter of the law of thermodynamics, not nutritional calvinism.

stefan wrote:

ohohohohho what do we have here? It's funny you should mention warfare, because I am in currently in training for the Navy SEALs and I am not going to play false humble. I do know more about nutrition and fitness than you, and I do know more about warfare. I spent my life surrounded by the military, and I have spent my life surrounded by activities which required such athletic endurance which you yourself seem to disapprove. And let me tell you, what you advocate has little bearing on reality. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that you don't need brute strength coupled with keen senses and intellect. Let me give you a hard lesson.

There is a reason why military fitness training is so brutal. Its not just to sharpen the body (which incidently does need to be physically EXTREMELY fit to perform the duties required of it), but test resolve and stress under combat conditions. While he doesn't need to be olympian, they do have train like olympians. War isn't won by pansies. I suggest you take a hard look at the special forces operators who fight at the forefront of this current conflict and see if they aren't some of the most badass mofo's you haven't seen (Might I add that this war is as complex as it is because of the primitive brutality of our opponents who -gasp- possess razor sharp cunning as well).
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Haters-gonna-hate-pink-suit-black-dude
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 12 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Anyone here work out or exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com