BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Church plans to burn Bibles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
eternalmystery

eternalmystery

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:12 am

Mystery and bee_rad hit the nail on the head.

Having once been a non-believer who held anti-christian views, and been around and talked and known several people who held similar anti-christian views, I can tell you that they are not looking at Christians with contempt because of some KJV-only church in the middle of nowhere with a whopping 40 members. It is because Christianity is in contradiction to every tenet, belief, and position in our culture, and not only our culture, but any culture on the planet. Christianity calls a person to die to themselves, forsake every sinful pleasure they love, and pick up their cross and let Christ lead them. This, even though some of them may not admit it, is the reason why Christianity is looked at with contempt. They love their lifestyles way too much to give it over to anything, be it a human or a deity of any kind, and because they love their lifestyles so much and because Christianity tells them to abandon it, they see that as a threat to something they hold dear to.

Christ Himself said that we would be hated because of Him, not because of idiots to hold book and music burnings. Sometimes you have to ask yourself why thousands of people were martyred for being Christian in the first 3 centuries of Christianity's existence. I highly doubt it was because of book burnings, the KJV only movement, or screwballs who claim the faith and don't live it out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eternalmystery.co.nr
mystery

mystery

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:06 pm

people love to be selfish and materialistic and biological. it takes a strong person and a strong reason to reject those urges in favor of something better.
Back to top Go down
eternalmystery

eternalmystery

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:27 pm

mystery wrote:
people love to be selfish and materialistic and biological. it takes a strong person and a strong reason to reject those urges in favor of something better.

True.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eternalmystery.co.nr
Exquisite Corpse

Exquisite Corpse

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:06 pm

I think it's sad, because those Bibles they will burn could have been given to people who don't have any Bibles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.love146.com
Mortificationrulez

Mortificationrulez

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:35 am

Wow, seriously?? They want to burn the word of God just because it's easier for people to understand? Did I hear that correctly?? I think God would appreciate that His word be made easier and more accessible for people. If they don't want them then don't use them, plain and freakin simple, don't go pointing fingers at people that like easier to read versions of the Bible, you're still gettin the message either way. Jesus is the way, follow Him and your gift is the gift of eternal life.
Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom

oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 2080
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 am

Actually, I believe it was more a matter of authority.

I recently finished an in-depth look at all of the translations as compared to the KJV. Text by text comparisons were made to show how most modern versions remove references of Jesus being God, Jesus dying for our sins, and elements of creation.

After finishing this study it made sense to me. But still, that KJV is so difficult to read and comprehend for my feeble mind. I need The Living Bible(with it's flaws) in order to understand. Yes, I need a dumbed-down bible.

About this church burning bibles. I feel that is extreme. They can make their point publicly in other ways.
Back to top Go down
againsttheantichrist

Number of posts : 1120
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm

In the end, the divine word of God is the original greek and hebrew version. The only reasons translations are made is for convenience (to ensure everyone doesn't have to be literate in greek and hebrew to read the bible).

Where they get the fact that KJV is supreme (even over the originals) is beyond me and is blasphemy. The logic fails too because they're calling prior translations (which gave birth to the KJV version) blasphemous.

It angers me so much!!!
Back to top Go down
Mortificationrulez

Mortificationrulez

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:37 pm

oldschooldoom wrote:
Actually, I believe it was more a matter of authority.

I recently finished an in-depth look at all of the translations as compared to the KJV. Text by text comparisons were made to show how most modern versions remove references of Jesus being God, Jesus dying for our sins, and elements of creation.

After finishing this study it made sense to me. But still, that KJV is so difficult to read and comprehend for my feeble mind. I need The Living Bible(with it's flaws) in order to understand. Yes, I need a dumbed-down bible.

About this church burning bibles. I feel that is extreme. They can make their point publicly in other ways.

Here you go sir.

http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Dummies-Jeffrey-C-Geoghegan/dp/0764552961/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257385017&sr=8-1

Wonder if that book will be in the book burning fire lol.
Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom

oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 2080
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:53 am

Mortificationrulez wrote:

Here you go sir.

http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Dummies-Jeffrey-C-Geoghegan/dp/0764552961/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257385017&sr=8-1

Wonder if that book will be in the book burning fire lol.[/quote]

Lol, it's a Bible for Dummies. Yeah, that will burn reaaaal good.
Back to top Go down
Zhou Tai 04

Zhou Tai 04

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:37 am

mystery wrote:
that most people can decipher between the kinds of people that burn books and the kind that dont. i dont know anyone that thinks that because some christians burn books that the entire concept of christianity is evil.
I've seen all kinds of people hold grudges against Christianity as a whole for some reason or other that they are pretty much proudly ignorant of and obsess about, like the crusades, homosexuality, hell, and other such things. And if you try to tell them something along the lines of "That's not how Christianity really is." they'll just say that one of the key concepts of any major religion is deniability of any wrongdoing because they have it stuck in their minds that leaders of any religious institution will find ways to 'justify' (according them) their religion by condemning the acts of extremists as heretical, when in their minds they are using twisted logic to say that they are the same (i.e. God hates gays). People like that will find anything remotely questionable and turn it into a reason to say that a religion is evil/worthless/hypocritical/etc., for one of two reasons: 1) to put it bluntly, they're just really stupid and do it to make themselves feel better, or 2) they believe that religion evolved as nothing more than an elaborate memetic control scheme, and therefore has no validity whatsoever except as a means of maintaining a hierarchical order. Number 2 is basically the same as 1, except it's 1,000,000 times more convoluted with their screwy logic, and they tend to have really bad ego issues, so it's impossible to break through that mindset. So 1's at least have some potential to learn the truth, whereas 2's are basically hopeless.

To give you an example of the latter type of person, read some of this.

http://forum.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=4034
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Church plans to burn Bibles   Church plans to burn Bibles - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Church plans to burn Bibles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: Christian Discussion-
Free forum | Music | Rock, Punk, Alternative | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com