BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Vocal Techniques!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jim

Jim

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2009-01-04

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Maybe we could share Vocal techniques from Grind to King Diamond!!

btw, favorite vocals at the moment, is Alex's! ooooooo yea! bigging up the Gondolin!
Back to top Go down
http://www.holynightclothing.com
Matt

Number of posts : 7214
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:26 am

I like natural unprocessed black metal screams and aggressive grunts.

techniques are very hard to explain, I just use as much strength as possible to sound aggressive
Back to top Go down
Jim

Jim

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14 am

Do you find you lose your voice if you sing a lot? or do you have breathing/singing techniques
Back to top Go down
Matt

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:57 am

I have had professional voice training for years (since I have always had musical courses in school),
I am able to do it without losing my voice in the end, but if I practise after weeks of not doing it, my throat feels a bit sore.
I just breathe like classical singers do (pretty low, around belly area)
Back to top Go down
Jim

Jim

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 pm

hmm really interesting! good advice!
Back to top Go down
crushthehorns

crushthehorns

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:44 pm

I need to learn how to do Varg wails and Malefic pterodactyl shrieks.
Back to top Go down
Arch Duke of Metal

Arch Duke of Metal

Number of posts : 2164

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:49 pm

I never had any proper training. the deep ones on gondolin have effects on them. the other ones just have some effect to make them circle the speakers, so they are pretty much legit. thanks for the comment btw Very Happy

i want to be able to show my full potential for vocals, but dont have anything i could really do it to. maybe one time i will pick a song or two and record vocals over it and post it for you guys to hear

i have a pretty stellar abbath impression too
Back to top Go down
progton

progton

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:27 am

i love the high vocals like Halfrod and the singer of Saint and many more, so awesome
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianmetal.hyves.net
Matt

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:12 am

The problem is that many crappy amps and mics can't handle decent vocals, whether it are clean vocals or extreme vocals, and it sucks when the amp starts crackling when you sing
Back to top Go down
Gorlim (OMW)

Gorlim (OMW)

Number of posts : 1171
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:49 am

Sometimes we run our grinding vocals through an effect, but it simply for the effect of it. We are still doing true screams, not just trying to sound cool with effects because we can't really do it.

I've never had any kind of training or anything like that. I just simply think of what I want and I try to sound that way. My screams have changed alot over the years since I've been doing music and I'm quite happy with the way they sound now.

Still working on it though...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thepoet777
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

Number of posts : 1916

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:54 am

A guy on the Godcore forums made a vocal tutorial a long time ago, it never worked for me, but it has worked for others.
here:
http://www.tonybullard.com/?page_id=19
Back to top Go down
http://www.metalblessingradio.com
Matt

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 am

hehe I remember that video.

I think he gives some good hints, but his throat is not 'the general' throat or something,
as you said, not everyone will be able to learn it that way, throats are pretty unique
Back to top Go down
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

Number of posts : 1916

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 am

Personally I go for what I call the "gurgly" vocal sound. I just get a nice big gulp of soda and start going.

Bacon cheeseburgers are not neccessary, but definitely helpful...also chocolate donuts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.metalblessingradio.com
Jim

Jim

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Personal fave as well, King Diamond's vocals! gotta love that high pitch vocals!
Back to top Go down
Arch Duke of Metal

Arch Duke of Metal

Number of posts : 2164

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:25 pm

well yeah, i mean, even when i add some effects onto the vocals, i am actually doing them too. its not like im just talking and then adding effects
Back to top Go down
Matt

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:31 pm

I like Johann Ylenstrand's (background vocals for the Weakening, Crimson Moonlight) and Claudio's (Sacrificium) vocals a lot
Back to top Go down
ELAN

ELAN

Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:12 am

Some people know this, but I actually developed a scab in my throat when recording the first throat-ripping scream on the Day of Ascension track "The Fires of Gomorrah".

Ever since then, I've been taking it easy for a bit. I tend to deviate a bit with my vocal styles now; I really like doing a very harsh whisper sound, as well as a banshee wail.

I think using effects on vocal performances is not a bad thing, as long as you're not just over-condensing the microphone. If you walk out of the studio and you still have your voice completely intact after recording half an album, you may not have put out your best effort (unless you have been practicing for years).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/elanschambers
Matt

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:58 am

Developing a scab is sooo not good Razz
Although it must've been intense.

Recording vocals is very rough, I can only suggest lots of mild tea (camilla or something) to smooth the throat.
Back to top Go down
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:33 am

I know that T.J. Humlinski (Feast Eternal) suggests taking lots of cough drops to help with the death metal vocals.
Back to top Go down
Matt

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Andrew Tompkins used to use chocolate milk and for InExordium he used coffee milk.

Karl (Pantokrator) used a glass of hot water filled with Fisherman Friends.
Back to top Go down
ELAN

ELAN

Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Those bottled Lipton green teas help a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/elanschambers
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:17 pm

You might want to also have some hot tea with some honey and lemon around as well.
Back to top Go down
Crucify The Flesh

Crucify The Flesh

Number of posts : 147

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:20 pm

I have Deep growls, mid yellsand screams and high screams(abit Blackish), pig squeels of most ranges and speaking parts and some clean singing.

I have been on the whole Zen of Screaming thing for awhile now, very helpful. It has helped my voice overall.
I recorded vocals for my band on monday, was screaming for 8 hrs and I felt no strain, all volume and breath is with the diaphragm and prjection is kinda through the nose, but not nasal. And so you know alot of my screams are at about 110Db
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thosewhoenduremetal
Crucify The Flesh

Crucify The Flesh

Number of posts : 147

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:27 pm

I have found the same thing as others here. No amps or mini powered mixers can handle the metal
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thosewhoenduremetal
JiK

JiK

Number of posts : 726

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm

I've did some grunt work in a little band.
HERE you can listen something of that. I've cut out the most of the clean singing. i discovered that it isn't something for me. i'll keep it at grunting.

this band was called blue staring eyes, we've got another demo at youtube somewhere, but the band no longer exists any more. We found out that our stiles we wanted to play didn't match... to bad, because i really want to grunt in a metalband!

please say what you think about my grunting! my technique is to let my breath "roll" it's dificuld to explain in English for me...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vocal Techniques! Vide
PostSubject: Re: Vocal Techniques!   Vocal Techniques! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Vocal Techniques!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: Music Discussion :: Musicians Lair-
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com