BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Differences Between Denominations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

Number of posts : 758
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Differences Between Denominations Vide
PostSubject: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:49 am

Hey guys, I just want to get the general point of views when it comes to all of you concerning the beliefs and practices of different denominations. Please answer each question with a your honest opinion and how important (or severe) each thing is. If you want to clear up a certain point, please feel free to write a lengthy paragraph.

General and Personal Practices

1. How important is it to you to spread the word of Christ to those who do not believe?

2. How important is it to attend church on a regular (at least once a week) basis?

3. How important is it to read the Bible daily?

4. How important is it to pray daily?

5. How important is it to seek the gifts of the Holy Spirit?

Things Others May Consider Sin

1. How negatively does the consumption of alcohol affect a believer's relationship with God? (please describe how much alcohol is permissible if tolerance of alcohol is granted)

2. How negatively does the usage of tobacco and illegal drugs affect a believer's relationship with God?

3. How negatively does dancing and clubbing affect a believer's relationship with God? (please provide guidelines for dancing and clubbing if it is permissible)

Two Last Questions

1. How much of your beliefs and practices are based on scripture?

2. How much of your beliefs and practices are based on traditions?

EDIT: I forgot the most important part (according to the thread name), guys! What denomination do you tend to associate with?

Last edited by Usvart Jorge on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

Number of posts : 5020
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:54 am

1. How important is it to you to spread the word of Christ to those who do not believe?

2. How important is it to attend church on a regular (at least once a week) basis?

4. How important is it to pray daily

1. How negatively does the consumption of alcohol affect a believer's relationship with God? (please describe how much alcohol is permissible if tolerance of alcohol is granted)

4. It can only hurt a relationship if done in a sinful manner. Alchohol is permissible as long as you do not get drunk

2. How negatively does the usage of tobacco and illegal drugs affect a believer's relationship with God?

8. tobacco is really up to you. Now illegal drugs is without question sin. The bible says all authority is from God. If we disobey this authority we sin. The government is our authority. By taking illegal drugs, we are disobeying them.

3. How negatively does dancing and clubbing affect a believer's relationship with God? (please provide guidelines for dancing and clubbing if it is permissible)

7. Dancing there is no issue with if it isn't done in a sinful provacative way.

Two Last Questions

3. Paul said to thrash all traditions when Jesus ascended into Heaven. The only traditions I base beleifs on is how the early church ran things.
Back to top Go down
BryneVampyr

BryneVampyr

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:46 am

1. How important is it to you to spread the word of Christ to those who do not believe? - 10

I think it is the whole point of the church...to proclaim the Gospel.

2. How important is it to attend church on a regular (at least once a week) basis? Regularly - 8, once a week - 5

At least once a week...not so important...regularly, very important. If you have a job that requires that you work Sundays, so you only go to church 3 times a month, no big deal. If you stay home because you just don't feel like going...well...maybe that is a problem. The key is that we love God's word and seek to hear it preached regularly...not that we put a specific number on what "regularly means.

3. How important is it to read the Bible daily? Regular Bible reading - 8, Daily Bible reading - 4

Again...regular, very important. Daily, not so much. If a person reads his Bible 3-4 times a week and attends a Bible study weekly, well, that is regular.

4. How important is it to pray daily? - 10

Daily doesn't mean that we have to set aside a specific time and pray for a set number of minutes each day...it just means that we should go to God in prayer in some way. We are told to pray continuously, so prayer should be a natural part of day, and should occur moment by moment.

5. How important is it to seek the gifts of the Holy Spirit? - as in, try to speak in tongues, 1.

Depends on the person. If the believer is an alcoholic, drinking alcohol would have a negative effect on all areas of that person's life. In general, I don't think alcohol is a negative at all as long as it is consumed in moderation. How much is too much is up to the individual to discern.

Tobacco, not at all. Illegal drugs, well...they are illegal, so yeah...that would have a negative effect, and probably in a big way.

I have no problem with dancing. I have no problems with going clubs, and even clubbing. Whether or not it is a negative would depend on the type of club you go to, and your general motivations. Going with a group of friends to dance and enjoy a live band is fine. Going to get drunk and pick up people of the opposite sex is not.

Two Last Questions

Most of them.

A few.

Last edited by BryneVampyr on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BryneVampyr

BryneVampyr

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:48 am

MetLHed4GZus wrote:

3. Paul said to thrash all traditions when Jesus ascended into Heaven. The only traditions I base beleifs on is how the early church ran things.

I bet there are certain practices that are based on tradition, though. Not every we do in our churches can be found in the Bible.
Back to top Go down
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm

BryneVampyr wrote:
MetLHed4GZus wrote:

I bet there are certain practices that are based on tradition, though. Not every we do in our churches can be found in the Bible.

Indeed. I doubt if there were many "back-row Baptist" in the early church Razz

But seriously, I believe that most, if not all, denominations have some practices based on tradition.
Back to top Go down
wizardovmetal

wizardovmetal

Number of posts : 1056
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:04 pm

extremely important

depends on the person, new beleivers always need a group of support, going to church does not make you a christian anymore then standing in your garage makes you a car.

somewhat important, it will keep you on track and encourage you.

extremely important as conversing with god is part of a relationship, i can say your my friend but if i never speak to you would you consider me a friend

i'm not entirely sure what you mean by this

smoking probably has no effect as it is not consciousness altering, alcohol is fine in moderation, a person should never be drunk, one maybe two beers is a good limit, although i don't drink.

2. How negatively does the usage of tobacco and illegal drugs affect a believer's relationship with
God? a persons mind should always be clear, anything that clouds judgement or alters consciousness is not godly, there are warnings in the bible about pharmikia, which used to be a part of witchcraft because in order to succesfully cast spells you must alter your consciousness somewhat, whether its through drugs or willfully altering it like a trance.

depends on the individual, a person can go to a club and have a good time without being drunk, acting foolishly and bringing women home to sleep with.

Two Last Questions

every last bit of them

absolutely none of them, there is also a warning in the bible about this, something about not being willing to give up traditions to follow god correctly. i forget the verse.

keep in mind i am not even slightly denominational, all of my beleifs are scripturally based and combined with logical thinking, our god is a very logical god obviously.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jbmetalhed
Shamax

Shamax

Number of posts : 701
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:26 pm

wizardovmetal wrote:
Two Last Questions

every last bit of them

absolutely none of them, there is also a warning in the bible about this, something about not being willing to give up traditions to follow god correctly. i forget the verse.

keep in mind i am not even slightly denominational, all of my beleifs are scripturally based and combined with logical thinking, our god is a very logical god obviously.

I've heard it said that the man who says he has no traditions is a slave to those traditions.

Our intentions should always be to subject our traditions to God's Word and abolish them where they are not in subjection to sound exegesis. And yes, it's just as hard to identify things in your own practice as "traditions" as it is to proofread a novel you write yourself. But don't ever assume that you're "100% tradition free". It's too easy then for a watchman to close his eyes and let all manner of lurking desires and things overtake him.

Everyone has traditions. The goal. however, is always to make them subject to Christ.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/Shamax
wizardovmetal

wizardovmetal

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:46 pm

actually, i have no denominational traditions, i have entirely changed my beleifs on things due to the bible, basically ruining all my traditions i had.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:28 pm

Hopefully a few of my answers won't get me in hot water, but it's what I believe. Thanks Jorge for this thread!!!!

So-so. Help offered when not wanted, isn't really helpful at all. Period. I think "spreading the word" has the potential to do damage when the spread-ee isn't interested, doesn't care, or strongly objects. Those who are open, as long as the approach is tactful, spread away I say. For those who object, I keep an eye out - they could come around.

I haven't been to church in... probably over a year. I think fellowship with Christians is important, but I can do so without having anything to do with that 5 letter word. Regardless where it's at, I think discussion of spiritual principles is very important. (There's a old joke where the punchline is, two guy's in church talking about fishing, they're religious. Two guys fishing, talking about God, they're spiritual.)

In all honesty, I get a TON of spirituality from AA meetings, which I go to on a regular basis. (probably 4 meetings a week) Discussion meeting, I'm in a room of people who find strength in God, and who enjoy sobriety.

Not very. A mathematician doesn't have to read his arithmetic book daily to become a better at math. Application of what we HAVE read, brings the results.

If someone wants to read daily, that's great. If it helps them, that's great. It's not my approach. It might be a little off topic, but I'm not one for "cookie cutter Christianity". I believe the life's details of our walk with Christ differ, and it's egotistical to say to someone else, "No, you have to do it this way.". Once again, speaking of the details of course.

I think this is important, but it's only part of the communication equation with God. When I pray, I talk to God. When I meditate, I listen. My relationship with him is not one sided, where I just give him my grocery list of things to do, or yak-yak-yak-yak and "amen" hang up the God phone.

I listen. I listen through other people, through my thoughts... I listen for His will for me to do.

That almost sounds like an oxymoron - seeking a gift. Gifts are given, free, no strings are attached. A gift sought isn't really a gift, it's a reward. I don't believe we look for gifts from God, we either receive what's given, reject what's given, or like gifts other than salvation, some of us don't get them.

I'm aware of what the bible says of drunkenness. I'm a bit torn. What's drunkenness? That's different per person, both in consumption and intoxication.

I think the real sin is in the results of being drunk. Drinking a lot ONE TIME, getting sloppy even, but the outcome is eating a bunch of cookie dough and going to bed early, I don't see the sin in that. I think a lot of stuff that comes along with drunkenness is the sin, not drinking too much.

Drinking too much to the point of doing/saying harmful things, there's the sin.

For, well, we call you guy's normies, drinking period is playing with fire. Alcohol changes the chemistry of the brain, and I've seen more than once a social drinker becoming a problem drinker in a matter of years.

I myself have the genetic predisposition of alcoholism. The first time I drank, I wanted more - the 2nd time I drank, I got drunk by myself the next morning. I am an alcoholic, and have been from the start. Once I start drinking, I need that next one like I need air.

For me to drink means to get drunk, to repeatedly get drunk, to become a destructive whirlwind through the lives of those around me. Knowing this, and doing this anyway, is the sin. I'm not responsible for my disease, but I am responsible for my recovery. Lack of responsibility on my part is sin for me.

I know a 73 year old man, who has a great relationship with God. He has 3/4ths of one lung and smokes his pipe like a chimney. He loves to smoke. *scratches head* Have at it I say. Smoke away brother.

Every other smoker I know "wants to quit", but cigarettes miraculously appear in their mouths and light themselves... *cough*addict*cough* Like the drinking thing, maybe the sin isn't itself the smoking. Maybe it's the addictive behaviors and lack of responsibility that accompany it.

Doing something anyway that doesn't want to be done - sounds like a form of insanity to me. I've been there. God removed this from me.

Induced addictions aren't glorifying to God. Some people have addictive personalities, perhaps there's a reason for that. Maybe there's a reason I'm addicted to making music and lifting weights.

Illegal drugs, it's already been said. If it breaks man's law, it break's God's.

There's nothing wrong with dancing/clubbing.... these can lead to sin, but that's to do with the person and their defects, not dancing (moving their body) or being in a club (their body at a location).

Two Last Questions

Beliefs, quite a few. Practices, not so many, but a couple.

Quite a few actually. I only know what I've been taught. Even reading a book, I'm not teaching myself, I'm learning from who wrote the book. Everything in my life, even down to wiping my bum after firing one out in the john, is a "an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior." (Webster's first "a" definition of the word "tradition".)

As far as religious/denominational traditions, similarities are coincidental. I'm not intending to follow them, nor do I recoil from them as a hot flame.

My apologies for the huge read. I hope someone got something from that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks for your response Hguols, it was a good read.

Guys, I forgot the most important part of the survey. What denomination do you tend to associate yourself with?
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:08 pm

Usvart Jorge wrote:
Thanks for your response Hguols, it was a good read.

Guys, I forgot the most important part of the survey. What denomination do you tend to associate yourself with?
Mutated Butt Squirrels for Christ
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Herpes condemning ukulele players for Jesus
Back to top Go down
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:15 pm

ROFL ROFL ROFL

One more question. What role should the head pastor play in the church? Does he have to right to interfere in the matters ministries at his church (praise and worship, youth group, etc.) and even the right to interfere in the private actions of church members?
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Usvart Jorge wrote:

One more question. What role should the head pastor play in the church? Does he have to right to interfere in the matters ministries at his church (praise and worship, youth group, etc.)
yes

Quote :
and even the right to interfere in the private actions of church members?
not really, but he is sure entitled to call people out on stuff, he is their spiritual leader
Back to top Go down
BryneVampyr

BryneVampyr

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:03 pm

I am a confessional Lutheran
Back to top Go down
wizardovmetal

wizardovmetal

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:50 am

Usvart Jorge wrote:
ROFL ROFL ROFL

One more question. What role should the head pastor play in the church? Does he have to right to interfere in the matters ministries at his church (praise and worship, youth group, etc.) and even the right to interfere in the private actions of church members?

i dont understand what you mean exactly
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm not much for a "governing" pastor. A pastor of a church is a mortal, imperfect creature of God just like anyone else. The prestige some of these individuals have disturbs me.

Just like anyone else, I think the pastor not only has the right to get involved, but I would recommend it. Interfere is definitely not the word I would use.
Back to top Go down
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 pm

By interfering I mean something more intrusive than governing. Of course a pastor must govern every aspect of his church, but there is a limit. If he has no musical experience he shouldn't go and tell the praise band how to play a song because he wouldn't know what to do. If he has no experience in tambourine routines he shouldn't run around telling the tambourine group every single step they must take and so on and so forth.
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Usvart Jorge wrote:
By interfering I mean something more intrusive than governing. Of course a pastor must govern every aspect of his church, but there is a limit. If he has no musical experience he shouldn't go and tell the praise band how to play a song because he wouldn't know what to do. If he has no experience in tambourine routines he shouldn't run around telling the tambourine group every single step they must take and so on and so forth.
yes but he does know what songs fit his message and what songs people really need to be played
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

Number of posts : 705

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:38 pm

For the purpose of the survey, I am predenominational, that is, Catholic.

Very

Very

Very

Very

Very, though we must remember that they are gifts, and the Holy Spirit will bestow them as is right and good.

Depends. Some people can drink without issue, but others can't.

Tobacco is not as serious as narcotics. Narcotics are gravely sinful because of the profoundly grave effect they have on people, tobacco, while bad, is of more minor gravity.

No comment.

Two Last Questions

All.

All, including the scriptures, which are the product of Sacred Tradition.
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:41 pm

MetLHed4GZus wrote:

ΠΡΟΣ ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΕΙΣ Β΄ 2:15

αρα ουν αδελφοι στηκετε και κρατειτε τας παραδοσεις ας εδιδαχθητε ειτε δια λογου ειτε δι επιστολης ημων

Laughing
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Mark wrote:
MetLHed4GZus wrote:

ΠΡΟΣ ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΕΙΣ Β΄ 2:15

αρα ουν αδελφοι στηκετε και κρατειτε τας παραδοσεις ας εδιδαχθητε ειτε δια λογου ειτε δι επιστολης ημων

Laughing
huh? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:48 pm

wizardovmetal wrote:

You don't believe the Bible is the Word of God? Funny, because that belief comes exclusively from ancient Catholic tradition.
As for the verse, Jesus was condemning traditions that contradicted the law of God.

MetL, I owned you in Koine Greek, basically.
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Mark wrote:

I doubt that
Back to top Go down
Death over Life

Death over Life

Number of posts : 632
Location : The Inner Sanctum known as my Insanity and Damnation
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Mark wrote:
wizardovmetal wrote:

You don't believe the Bible is the Word of God? Funny, because that belief comes exclusively from ancient Catholic tradition.
As for the verse, Jesus was condemning traditions that contradicted the law of God.

The sad thing is, despite the title being differences between denominations, one similarity of them all is that they all have traditions that contradict the law of God.

Why I have not participated in this thread is because something like this is going to open up a slew of controversy from me that I don't wish to spout, although I may have to now.

Some of the questions posted are why I disagree with traditionalism, especially since it's not supported by Scriptures.

Not trying to be or sound like a jerk or anything of the sort. It is just I take this faith far more seriously than to put a # beside a question. I really don't wish to start anything, but I felt I need to reply to that quote with that 1st sentence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Denominations   Differences Between Denominations Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Differences Between Denominations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: Christian Discussion-
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com