BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Aussies and MMA?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

Number of posts : 758
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:08 pm

I really don't get why the Aussies on here don't even know what Mixed Martial Arts is but then UFC, the largest Mixed Martial Arts promotion in the world, goes on and sells out some arena in Sydney.

Is is it some type of regional liking of the sport near Sydney?

(you know, like here in America where only people from the north like hockey whereas people in the south like NASCAR and such...)
Back to top Go down
Necromanicide

Necromanicide

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Aussie? CHECK.

Looked at this thread just to find out what MMA stands for? CHECK.

Martial Arts aren't big here at all to pretty much anyone other than those who participate in them. Even then, it is typically 1 or 2 of the traditional disciplines.

Sold out "some arena" in Sydney? Any idea what capacity it was?
The other thing is, often things that don't have a large every day following in Australia can sell out large "one-off" events, as people go just to see what the fuss is about. If promoted well, it is highly possible that they could promote this event just in Sydney, and get a few thousand people interested enough to go and check it out, without even having previously heard of MMA.

- Necromanicide
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/necromanicide
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:07 am

Ok, I understand now... sorry if I offended anyone...

Here are some highlights of the sport...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCP-MKmlTtk

Info on the event

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_110 (Silva vs. Bisping will RULE!!!) (It'll be live on the "ONE" channel in in Australia, so I recommend that all Aussies watch it Smile )

Info on the arena

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Arena (biggest Arena in Australia I think at 21,000 people...)

XD XD XD I can imagine the looks on the Australian publics' faces when they start seeing the br00tal knockouts.
Back to top Go down
therockismighty

therockismighty

Number of posts : 923
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:32 am

UFC is becoming popular with lots of people.... A few friends of mine, my bro and his mates watch it on ONE and on cable tv... so yer.... whateves Jorge Razz

I know what it is... but I don't watch it, so yeah I'm not offended by your comment but its not a really well researched one... naive is the word I would politely suggest.

No, Acer Arena isnt the biggest... the MCG in melbourne can house over 90,000 on Grand final day....

Most guys I know like any sport that seems interesting, that includes NASCAR. Baseball, NBA, Hockey, whatever they might dig.

Its like sometimes people think Australia is this far away magical land that has not much of a clue whats going on... oh little do you know Wink
Back to top Go down
exodus312

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 am

We know what it is... but we don't care, as for 6 months of the year, it's the footy, and the other 6 months is the cricket.

Who gives a stuff about other sports? Razz
Back to top Go down
Sutekh

Sutekh

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:30 pm

exodus312 wrote:
We know what it is... but we don't care, as for 6 months of the year, it's the footy, and the other 6 months is the cricket.

Who gives a stuff about other sports? Razz

Word.

Razz

Bring on the one-dayers!
Back to top Go down
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:27 pm

lol...

If someone could explain cricket to me maybe I'd like it too Razz
Back to top Go down
exodus312

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:54 pm

cricket is easy:

the objective is to score more runs than the other team.

This can be done by either:

A) scoring more runs than them.
B) getting them out for less than what your team has already made

There's obviously more too it than that, but the above is pretty much all you need to know if you're a newbie.

Heck, that's about all I know about baseball, and I don't mind watching that occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Necromanicide

Necromanicide

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:09 am

Miley Rulez wrote:
lol...

If someone could explain cricket to me maybe I'd like it too Razz

Old, but good:
It's quite easy. Both sides dress all in white for easy identification. Each side has 11 players, except for the 12th man who doesn't play. At the start of the game a coin is tossed, the winner of the toss decides who is in first. The team that's in goes out, while the team that's out goes out to try and get the team that's in out. Two players from the team that's in plays until one of them is out and another player then goes in. Once all of the players (but one) is out, that team is out except for the player that is not out. When the team that's in are out, both teams go in, and then the team that was out is now in, so they go out and the team that was in but are now out go in to try to get the team that was out but are now in out. When both teams have been in and out twice the team with the most runs wins. Unless it's a draw.

Or, From the BBC "Cricket - An Apology" for Americans. (Briefly explains the basics, and a bit of humour thrown in along the way).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A834941

- Necromanicide
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/necromanicide
Sponsored content

Aussies and MMA? Vide
PostSubject: Re: Aussies and MMA?   Aussies and MMA? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Aussies and MMA?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: Everything Else :: Sports-
Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com