BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

New guitar player seeks guidance :P

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2008-11-13

New guitar player seeks guidance :P Vide
PostSubject: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:43 pm

I am looking at getting an Ibanez guitar & practice amp from a friend so I can FINALLY join the ranks of the real musicians (not just the vocalists pretending to be musicians!). I need some guidance as to what finger exercises or practice routines to do to get up to speed fast. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://metalfroreview.blogspot.com
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

Number of posts : 5020
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:48 pm

best thing is to learn all your open chords first..and maybe a couple major/minor scales
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:09 am

I know a lot of open chords, and of course I can play power chords and bar chords from years ago messing w/ my acoustic, but I'm looking for either suggestions of songs to learn up front to help me build dexterity in my hands/fingers, or finger exercises I can do to get my strength up quickly, as well as any tips/techniques for learning quickly.
Back to top Go down
NorthernAsh

NorthernAsh

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:18 am

http://www.freewebs.com/edeninruins/stevevai30hourpathtovirtuosoenlightenment.pdf

download that and do it, after which, your hands will HATE me for recommending it and Vai for making it available to people. lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/northash
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

Number of posts : 5020
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:20 pm

dude Shocked that thing works...im a better player after jsut half an hour!
Back to top Go down
TheBeastSlayer

TheBeastSlayer

Number of posts : 2165
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:53 pm

Go to guitarbackingtrack.com if u want to learn to play at speed to songs. I know mortificatios german site has some tabs if u want to learn some of that lol. Also try www.ultimate-guitar.com www.gibson.com www.guitarplayer.com/ultimatemetal for a cool magazine that I just got. Theres some free video lessons too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purevolume.com/themasterofawesomeness
Mikey Erasmus

Mikey Erasmus

Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Learn some music theory. Practice scales. The practice with a metronome. You'll be shredding in no time
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/erasmustn
FireProphet

FireProphet

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:16 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
I am looking at getting an Ibanez guitar & practice amp from a friend so I can FINALLY join the ranks of the real musicians (not just the vocalists pretending to be musicians!).
Haha, thing is, a lot of us with instruments are still pretending to be musicians Smile
That being said, I'm going to check out that Vai article, too.
Back to top Go down
NorthernAsh

NorthernAsh

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:30 pm

MetLHed4GZus wrote:
dude Shocked that thing works...im a better player after jsut half an hour!

I won't lie, I only do a few of those exercises and my hands hate me but my abilities are much, much better now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/northash
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Just focus on memorizing your scales.. everywhere on the fret board. And Jam with them as much as possible.

Once those are memorized, you'll be unstoppable with your ability to jam with anyone, make up great melodies, etc and so forth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Todd, my hands might hate you or I for that PDF, but I'm guessing my increased skillset will be thanking you Very Happy

I'm hoping to get the guitar next weekend from my friend, so I'll have to try this out & see how it goes!
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Get a metronome, set it at a certain speed, and pick to each click or pop. You should also play patterns of notes on the first four frets along with the metronome, such as

etc.
Back to top Go down
Metalcps

Metalcps

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:53 pm

John Petrucci
Rock Discipline - dvd
Warner Brothers

It will be one of the best investments you can make as a guitarist IMO.
Back to top Go down
TheBeastSlayer

TheBeastSlayer

Number of posts : 2165
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:58 pm

^Ur avatar is scary.....Just sayin.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purevolume.com/themasterofawesomeness
Metalcps

Metalcps

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:04 am

lol , its buckethead...he is awsome:p
Back to top Go down
BeneGuitar01

BeneGuitar01

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-08-23

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Definitely go for the metronome, and when practicing scales and finger excercises, do it on a clean channel. Distortion can sometimes mask mistakes and flaws, you want to make sure every note is played clean and precise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/benevolencemetal
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:09 pm

scales help, but what really does the trick is to understand the theory behind them. It is best to understand the spacing between the different tones for a scale type. For example, a natural minor scale's musical tones are spaced 1 2 ♭3 4 5 ♭6 ♭7 8. Or: A B C D E F G♯ A (A Minor)
It seems like a bit of a doozy, however, if you could memorize this, it would be like a trick up your sleeve no matter what key you are in. In terms of this scales, it also important to understand the concept of whole notes and half notes.

Also, it isnt enough to understand theory. You have to be able to go through the mechanics of playing your instrument in order to be a musician. For that I recommend this book. It has served me well.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=active&q=Speed+Mechanics+for+Lead+Guitar&cid=4214487781298382041&sa=title#p

here are a few last bits of advice
1)As many have said, get a metronome. This cannot be debated.
2)Do not ignore your picking hand. Your fretting hand could have belong to yngwie malmsteens in a past life, but it does you no good if your picking hand is lackluster, both in strength and technique.
3)RELAX! It seems like a basic thing, but if you watch all the best musicians playing their complicated bits and pieces, it looks like they are cutting through butter. The way they do this is...
4)Start slow. If you are going so fast that you are screwing up, than stop. There is no reason why it will sound any better the 5,000th time if you practice this way. The way guitarist get to be speed monsters is by practicing slow and getting the movements imbued into their muscle memory. Hence the "butter smooth" appearance.
5)Remember, you are a musician. It's about the music, not how fast you go. If you play really fast, but suck at playing MUSIC, you may just as well play sports. Keep this in mind when comparing some lacklustre powermetal band to say, the slow and steady fingers of david gilmour.

Anyway, good luck my friend.
Back to top Go down
Nosral

Nosral

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:54 am

take some lessons...
keep a journal
focus your practices
play daily, and learn proper form (both with hands and the way you sit/stand etc)
Pray
Back to top Go down
BodomRules

BodomRules

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:29 pm

i'd advise getting a metronome man as everyone above has said. i would recommend learning scales before you learn your chords because chords are derived from scales. for example the A minor chord is derived from the A harmonic minor scale. once you learn scales chords will make sense. when you learn scales learn all the different positions that the single scales are played all over the neck so you can play any given scale in any given position on the fretboard (this is a fundamental part of shredding so you can know where you're going at all times all over the fretboard)
if you're familiar with music theory get comfortable with each key ie: the scale degrees such as your root position in each key, your third scale degree, your fifth scale degree. once you develop this knowledge you can get into inversions etc. start with that dude! if you develop these few skills, you will be able to understand the bigger picture instead of just learning songs from guitar tabs Smile
Back to top Go down
Last Rites

Last Rites

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Something that wasn't mentioned but I'd throw out there is an exercise to work on evenness for fast passages:

First off, take any new or awkward riff slowly (with a metronome) to get the idea. Then, practice the pattern syncopated (like "long-short-long-short-long" etc.). After going through the riff a couple o' times like that, then syncopate the riff the other way (like "short-long-short-long" etc.). Then play the riff evenly again with a metronome. You should see more fluidity with your playing.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment (especially with chords).

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lastritesmetal
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guitar player seeks guidance :P   New guitar player seeks guidance :P Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New guitar player seeks guidance :P

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: Music Discussion :: Musicians Lair-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com