BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Horoscopes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:05 pm

I was curious as to everyone's take on Horoscopes, or even Astrology in general.

I've always thought it to be a crock, still do, but this is something I'm 99% sure about.... but a few different people have said some things to me that raised an eyebrow.

A Christian goth girl a while ago was into this sort of thing, and was a "rising psychic". This was years ago by the way. She mentioned something about back problems - I thought she was full of it.

Several years later, I had some back problems.... I said a loud "Hmmm.....".

...but then again, percentages of American males with back problems isn't unheard of.
She could have gotten lucky. Could have.

A guy friend of mine, though his own astrological talents, told me to stay away from a "Candice". I have never met an effin' Candice in my life. It doesn't mean I won't though.

The biggest eyebrow raiser was a weekend ago. I saw an AA speaker meeting and the woman that spoke, her sobriety date was my birthday. I told her this after the meeting, and she said, "You're a Cancer! You're a momma's boy!".

Whoa. I do have a very close relationship with my mother, and leaned more toward maternal guidance growing up than dad.

Then again, it could have been a random coincidental spout on her behalf. After all, I don't even know her.

Maybe everyone has the potential to be psychic. Rolling Eyes
Even though Ash's spiel about me living with mommy is incorrect, maybe he's psychic because he sensed the close relationship I have with my mum, just like what's-her-name did!
^_^

Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
trephining

trephining

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:20 am

I think it is not a very reliable way to get through life. I have taken the following list from Dr. Hugh Ross who looks at the claims and beliefs held in astrology and comments on many various points.

-bases horoscopes on the moment of birth, not the moment of conception when, in fact, one's genetic characteristics are fixed;
-ignores the gravitational forces of non-solar system bodies (e.g., the pull of gravity by the obstetrician on a newborn child is about six times greater than that of Mars);
-treats the various nuclear, magnetic, and gravitational forces exerted by solar system bodies (e.g., the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, etc.) as if they were of the same magnitude. In reality, differences of many orders of magnitude were long ago verified by research;
-ignores significant solar system bodies, e.g., Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, asteroids, comets;
-fails to take into account tidal forces, also gravitational differences resulting from the irregular shape of some solar system bodies;
-ignores the motion of the sun with respect to other stars and with respect to the center of the galaxy;
-ignores the wobble in the earth's rotation axis, which by now has shifted the astrological sun signs by one or two constellations (making a typical Leo in reality a Gemini);
-omits two constellations along the ecliptic (the "path" of the planets and other bodies in our solar system);
-fails to provide conclusive evidence of a direct causal link between celestial positions or "aspects" and human personality and interactions.

Dr. Ross shows in a logical way on how astrology is not based on any scientific criterion. Add to the fact that it is biblically prohibited to those who follow God, and I hold to my opening point that it is not a reliable way to make your way through life.
Back to top Go down
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:29 am

Can be accurate. Depend on how it's done and how it's analyzed. And if you believe in it. Horoscopes are a poor excuse for real "astrological lore" though, that goes back to the beginning of humanity.

The Universe is peculiar in how it is set up constellation wise.. before we had the written word, ancient people's helped keep their oral traditions and lore alive through use of the Constellations which never changed.

We still of course use astronomy today for things like navigation.

But it does go deeper than that.. pretty much everything has an astrological meaning. even symbols we consider mundane.

The Nazi Swaztika came from the Black Sun.. which refers to the venter of the universe ( not the sun ).. around which all the constellations revolve. Every city in the world is set up and designed according to astrology.. and usually dedicated that way to one of the pantheon of gods who relate the constellations. I could go and on about it, but it might get rather boring.

Interestingly though.. the "wise men" that came to see Jesus when he was born, what do you think they used to find him? Because to be called a "wise man" in that period alwasy meant you were educated in the lore of anstronomy and what we would call today "astrological symbolism".

Philadelphia - Phili means love in Latin. Delphi - refers the oracle of Delphi that the Greeks sued to use to get information about the future from. If you have seen the movie 300 you might have an idea of who the oracle of Delphi was.

The Obelisk in Washington DC stands next to a large pool of water. This is an ancient heathen symbol of the male phalanx and the pool of water next to it symbolizes the female sex organ. These have astrological meanings as well.. but I forget what.

The US eagel has astological meaing.. what it holds in it's claws has astrological meaning.. the seal around and behind it have astrological meaning. It just goes on and on. Name of large corporations have astrological meaning. On and on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
Hero

Hero

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:15 am

My theory (or rather, my dad's) is that the position of the sun affects your brain when you are very young (like the first couple of days you live, when your skull isn't solid yet and thus not providing a good protection) and that could explain why some astrology stuff is rather accurate. I'm aries and I am very strong minded and alot of stuff they say about them. But anyways, I stay away from astrology because of it's occult links.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:35 am

I've even heard of Christians being heavily involved with astrology. (what are the biblical references to condemning it?)

I don't see any real evil in it, as long as someone doesn't get carried away / crazy with it.

Don't get me wrong, I think people make who they are, rather than have a predisposed personality via their birthday. I think there might be a handful of characteristic that could apply, but to me they're a little TOO general to be taken with any major seriousness.

Like what Hero is talking about, I'm sure there are plenty of other strong minded people who aren't of the Aries sign.

Thanks for the input guys!

Back to top Go down
Shamax

Shamax

Number of posts : 701
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:59 am

Kamerad Ash wrote:
Philadelphia - Phili means love in Latin. Delphi - refers the oracle of Delphi that the Greeks sued to use to get information about the future from. If you have seen the movie 300 you might have an idea of who the oracle of Delphi was.

Or "phileo" and "adelphos" meaning "love" and "brother" in Greek. I always thought that's where the name came from and hence the title "City of Brotherly Love". The city founders *may* have loved the Oracle of Delphi, but if so, I hadn't came across that article yet Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/Shamax
Devon Hill

Devon Hill

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-12-21

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:05 am

Hguols wrote:
I've even heard of Christians being heavily involved with astrology. (what are the biblical references to condemning it?)

The Bible definitely condemns astrology. It may somewhat be accurate, but that knowledge/accuracy doesn't come from good - it comes from the knowledge of the devil. For example psychics do know things and can predict the future to some degree, but they do it with the power of Satan. It is basically Satan's perversion of the true spiritiual gift of God of prophecy. That's the way Satan operates - he tries to take the true power of God, and twists it to try to draw people to the bad side of the supernatural instead of the true supernatural power of God.

Here is a good reference in the Bible condemning astrology:

You have trusted in your wickedness
and have said, 'No one sees me.'
Your wisdom and knowledge mislead you
when you say to yourself,
'I am, and there is none besides me.'

11 Disaster will come upon you,
and you will not know how to conjure it away.
A calamity will fall upon you
that you cannot ward off with a ransom;
a catastrophe you cannot foresee
will suddenly come upon you.

12 "Keep on, then, with your magic spells
and with your many sorceries,
which you have labored at since childhood.
Perhaps you will succeed,
perhaps you will cause terror.

13 All the counsel you have received has only worn you out!
Let your astrologers come forward,
those stargazers who make predictions month by month,
let them save you from what is coming upon you.

14 Surely they are like stubble;
the fire will burn them up.
They cannot even save themselves
from the power of the flame.
Here are no coals to warm anyone;
here is no fire to sit by.

15 That is all they can do for you—
these you have labored with
and trafficked with since childhood.
Each of them goes on in his error;
there is not one that can save you.
Isiaiah 47:10-15
Back to top Go down
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:49 am

Quote :
For example psychics do know things and can predict the future to some degree, but they do it with the power of Satan. It is basically Satan's perversion of the true spiritiual gift of God of prophecy. That's the way Satan operates - he tries to take the true power of God, and twists it to try to draw people to the bad side of the supernatural instead of the true supernatural power of God.

You better burn all US currency that you have then, cause there is a ton of astrological symoblism on our currency. Satan might get ya, otherwise. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
Devon Hill

Devon Hill

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-12-21

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:59 am

I live in Canada, so no worries. Very Happy

Actually Canadian currency has similar things - i.e. idols on the back of their new 20s.
Back to top Go down
Stender

Stender

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:03 pm

pretty interesting topic. New age theology will tell you that religion copies astrology...but I have also heard some bible scholars with the opinion that the astrological calender tells a subliminal message of the gospel. I guess you just have to ask which came first the gospel message or astrology?
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Kamerad Ash wrote:

You better burn all US currency that you have then, cause there is a ton of astrological symoblism on our currency. Satan might get ya, otherwise. Shocked

*burns all the money in my wallet*
TAKE THAT SATAN!

...oh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horoscopes Vide
PostSubject: Re: Horoscopes   Horoscopes Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Horoscopes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com