BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Unintentional Theologian

Unintentional Theologian

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-07-28

CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Vide
PostSubject: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:32 am

CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/19/cd.digital.sales/index.html

Quote :
As the music industry as a whole struggles in a down economy and direct download business models like iTunes flourish, the compact disc -- which was commercially introduced in 1982 -- has the appearance of going the way of vinyl.

And contrary to the recent declaration of singer Prince -- who said that the Internet is dead and released his latest CD for free via European newspapers -- there's some evidence that consumers aren't as enamored with ripping the cellophane off that new CD as they once were.

According to data from Nielsen SoundScan, in 2007 CDs accounted for 90 percent of album sales in the United States, with digital accounting for the other 10 percent. Just two years later, that number had shifted to 79 percent CDs and 20 percent digital, with the remaining percentage point being made up of vinyl and other media.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 am

I think that CDs won't be the high percentage that it was but it will still remain.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:46 am

I remember Alan Tregoning at blastbeats.com stated that he closed down because the CD has been dead since 2004.

I haven't bought a CD in a long time myself - I'm a digital man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
325ad

Number of posts : 967
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 am

Collectors of niche markets such as Metal will follow the band more than the music will continue to buy Cd's as long as they are made. People who like Pop, Rap, Hip Hop etc that are only interested in the latest hot songs from perfomers like Lady Gaga, Just Bieber etc will continue to push Digital sales! These people are not really music fans!

Last edited by 325ad on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:53 pm

of course CD's are becoming obscure.. but not CDR's. Due to the popularity of downloading digital musik.. everyone is burning cdr's left and right. So really, it depends on what kind of cd's we are talking about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
Intense Millennium
Admin
Intense Millennium

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:42 pm

325ad wrote:
Collectors of niche markets such as Metal will follow the band more tha the music will continue to buy Cd's as long as they are made. People who like Pop, Rap, Hip Hop etc that are only interested in the latest hot songs from perfomers like Lady Gaga, Just Bieber etc will continue to push Digital sales! These people are not really music fans!

+1
Back to top Go down
http://www.intensemillennium.com
IronGuardian

IronGuardian

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm

CDs will continue to fall, but vinyl and digital will continue to rise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironguardianindustries.com
Gorlim (OMW)

Gorlim (OMW)

Number of posts : 1171
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:09 pm

I still buy cds exclusively. I never download unless it's something free that I run across.

I love my cd collection and I want to continue growing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thepoet777
The Last Firstborn

The Last Firstborn

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:48 pm

The death of the CD has been looming for a while now.

325ad wrote:
Collectors of niche markets such as Metal will follow the band more than the music will continue to buy Cd's as long as they are made. People who like Pop, Rap, Hip Hop etc that are only interested in the latest hot songs from perfomers like Lady Gaga, Just Bieber etc will continue to push Digital sales! These people are not really music fans!

I'll take Lady Gaga over a one-off, poorly recorded metal garage band any day.
Back to top Go down
325ad

Number of posts : 967
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:18 pm

LastFirstborn wrote:

325ad wrote:

You can have her! poo Give me real music made by real people!
Back to top Go down
The Last Firstborn

The Last Firstborn

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:43 pm

325ad wrote:
LastFirstborn wrote:

325ad wrote:

Like Stryper? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
oteis

oteis

Number of posts : 3067
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:53 pm

I think Digital sales will drop as well...especially since spotify has arrived in quite some European countries. You pay a few bucks a month and you can listen to all the music you want. I really hope you Americans will be able to use it as well in the near future.

I also think that CD sales will continue to drop, but it won't disappear. Vinyl will continue to rise. Especially combinations of Vinyl+Digital Download or +Cd.
Back to top Go down
GraceUnderPressure

GraceUnderPressure

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:12 pm

I've bought a few CDs this year, but have downloaded many more AAC MP3s.
Back to top Go down
TheBeastSlayer

TheBeastSlayer

Number of posts : 2165
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:54 pm

LastFirstborn wrote:
325ad wrote:
LastFirstborn wrote:

325ad wrote:

Like Stryper? Rolling Eyes
CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Pwnd
Back to top Go down
http://www.purevolume.com/themasterofawesomeness
mystery

mystery

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:08 am

cds are so gay lol
Back to top Go down
Ethereal Messenger

Ethereal Messenger

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:43 am

I only really buy Cds from the bands I really like and want to support. Other then that, I'm a downloading Fiend. I buy a lot of Digital stuff from Itunes. But if any of the older and original members of Extol did anything, I'd buy there stuff. Because Just about everything any of those guys have done, is nothing short of amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/etherealmessenger
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?   CNN: Is the death of the CD looming? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CNN: Is the death of the CD looming?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Free forum hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com