BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Question Regarding How to Handle Languages

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Which two should I take at once?
Arabic And Ancient Hebrew
Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_lcap9%Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Arabic And Ancient Greek
Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_lcap0%Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Arabic And Latin
Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_lcap18%Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
Ancient Hebrew and Ancient Greek
Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_lcap45%Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_rcap
 45% [ 5 ]
Ancient Hebrew And Latin
Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_lcap0%Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Latin And Ancient Greek
Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_lcap18%Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
Are you nuts? Take the eight years....
Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_lcap9%Question Regarding How to Handle Languages I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
againsttheantichrist

Number of posts : 1120
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Vide
PostSubject: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Ok. Here's the scoop.

Inside the next year, I will be transferring to Georgia State University to pursue double majors in Classics and Middle East Studies with a minor in Jewish Studies. Because of the set up of the majors. I'll have to take four languages to the 2002 level in order to graduate.

The languages are Ancient Greek, Ancient Hebrew, Latin, and Arabic.

With the way things are set up, I will have to take two of the above simultaneously (likely at two different levels, i.e. intermediate and introductory). If I don't do that, it will take eight years to get through them all.

My question to you is, which two should I take?
Back to top Go down
mazzie

mazzie

Number of posts : 5090
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Latin and Ancient Greek.
Back to top Go down
http://mazziereviewmusic.blogspot.com
Shamax

Shamax

Number of posts : 701
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2010 6:37 pm

I personally voted for "Are you nuts?!". I haven't tried to learn that many languages within a short period, but having taken first year Greek recently and 2 years of Japanese back in college, I'll say this: Don't spread yourself thin. If you take on too much at once, I worry that (especially with languages) you'll not give any of them the attention they deserve to really make use of them.

However, if you're determined, this would be my advice (for now): Take Greek by itself, first. At the most, perhaps Greek and Latin (since there can be some minor similarities in roots and such). The hardest part about learning Greek (or any other language) is learning English properly first. Taking first-year Greek will get you hitting all of the grammatical elements with an alphabet that's at least somewhat familiar.

Once you've got those down, THEN try Hebrew and Arabic. IIRC, I think both are right-to-left chicken-scratch languages that would probably be better left for 2nd or 3rd year studies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/Shamax
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Hebrew and Latin

or

Hebrew and Greek

Both are good combinations to be able to read the scriptures in their original forms.

My dad can read Ancient Hebrew, Greek and Latin as well.. he Majored in Ancient History. And when I was a kid he used to make me and my brother sit down with him and try and read the Bible in Greek and Hebrew.. while he translated.. I don't know any of it though. It was cool, none the less.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1Mon May 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Hebrew and Greek
Back to top Go down
Matt

Number of posts : 7214
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2010 4:22 am

Hebrew and Greek for sure.

Once you pick arabic, you'll be happy that you're also going for Latin, due to the difficultness.

At two points in college I was studying:

A. Dutch, French, English, Ancient Greek and Latin
and
B. Dutch, French, German, English and Hebrew

believe me, that was a MAJOR pain in the ass.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Arabic and Ancient Hebrew. To get a real education one must go over there and learn in person. Gotta know Arabic to do that.

I want to learn Arabic and Dari (A "hillbilly" dialect of Pashto. Spoken in Afghanistan.)
Back to top Go down
BryneVampyr

BryneVampyr

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 am

I voted for Latin and Ancient Greek. I would not take Arabic and Hebrew together because they are similar and it might be easy to mix the two up. Taking Latin in conjunction with one of the others means that you will only have to learn one new alphabet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question Regarding How to Handle Languages   Question Regarding How to Handle Languages Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Question Regarding How to Handle Languages

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com