BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Vide
PostSubject: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:49 pm

I finally saw this movie.

Here's my observations-

No originality whatsoever.

Really bad acting.

Really, really bad writing. I mean.. the writings was so trendy and childish, I was cringing.

No plot twists. Once you have seen the first twenty minutes.. you already know what is going to happen.

Characters are completely typical, in every way. The marines, the colonel, the scientists, the corporate villians.. the american indians ( i mean Naboo or whatever).

.. Seriously.. am I the only one who found this movie to completely suck?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
Munkey

Munkey

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Kamerad Ash wrote:
I finally saw this movie.

Here's my observations-

No originality whatsoever.

Really bad acting.

Really, really bad writing. I mean.. the writings was so trendy and childish, I was cringing.

No plot twists. Once you have seen the first twenty minutes.. you already know what is going to happen.

Characters are completely typical, in every way. The marines, the colonel, the scientists, the corporate villians.. the american indians ( i mean Naboo or whatever).

.. Seriously.. am I the only one who found this movie to completely suck?

I am in complete agreement with you, Ash.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/acadianametal
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Anybody who wants to see a great sci-fi/fantasy movie should see Pandorum.

It's like the opposite. Originality. Great acting, great writing. Emense plot twists.. Epic Characters.
Back to top Go down
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

Number of posts : 758
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 pm

You're right. I didn't really like it at all. It's a freaking Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves rip off. The only thing that saves it is the special effects.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Avatar may be somewhat predictable, but I didn't think the acting sucked. I quite enjoyed it (all 3 times) Smile
Back to top Go down
http://metalfroreview.blogspot.com
exodus312

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Yeah, I didn't like it all that much...

I didn't HATE it, mind, but I don't think that it deserves all the hype that it's getting.

So I'd say average at best.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:43 pm

I was entertained. Too bad James Cameron didn't invest as much money into his screenwriters. But it was very visually satisfying. The Day-Glo forest was slightly corny looking though.
Back to top Go down
The Last Firstborn

The Last Firstborn

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm skipping this one. CGI advancements are not enough to sell me on a movie.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:52 pm

LastFirstborn wrote:
I'm skipping this one. CGI advancements are not enough to sell me on a movie.

Yep.

"Låt den rätte komma in" being a vampire love story that was totally non-lame, but very low-key with the effects, is a prime example of quality story based filmmaking.

Twilight...effects based tripe...but we all know how that turned out...
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:54 pm

Back to top Go down
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Shadow of the Vampire would be my favorite vamp movie. It's about Nosferatu.
Back to top Go down
Garrison4JC

Garrison4JC

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:37 am

I had people all around me applauding "Avatar" as if it were THE best movie they had ever seen (one actually DID say that). I am more of a "Braveheart" or "Gladiator" kind of guy...but some Sci-Fi is fairly entertaining.

Well...although there were some certain aspects that I thought were "okay enough", I do not see it nearly as "awesome" as other people seem to believe it to be. I mean, some of them went back and watched it again and I just HAD to ask, "why"?

Unoriginal...definitely.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/garrison4jc
Sutekh

Sutekh

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:03 am

An entertaining film? Most definitely. Technologically brilliant? You betcha. Best film of the year? No You Didn't Not by a long shot.
Back to top Go down
IronGuardian

IronGuardian

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:40 am

Sutekh wrote:
An entertaining film? Most definitely. Technologically brilliant? You betcha. Best film of the year? No You Didn't Not by a long shot.

+1

I'm interested to see what the visual technology does when coupled with a decent story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironguardianindustries.com
metalgrinch

metalgrinch

Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:31 pm

James Cameron will never ever top Terminator 2 in terms of characterization, story, pacing, etc. Astounding movie even to this day 20 years later. And as much as people may smack me for saying so, his second best, Titanic, will also never be topped in terms of storyline and characterization. I'd say The Abyss would be tied for 2nd best and I put Aliens at 3rd.

Anyways, Avatar I know he wrote around the same time as T2 but was never able to make given the technology. I saw it, and while I agree with you in these regards (character development, plot, etc), I have to say I was still very much entertained, it's an INCREDIBLE action movie and special effects show.

What got on my nerves about this movie was the complete WEIRDNESS of the whole transfer from human to Avatar people. It just got plain weird after a while, and especially with the guy getting into a relationship with an Avatar female was just cringy. Then of course we get even more weirdness when their whole "God- Tree" thing began happening, as a Christian to me it just came off as stupid and desperate, I mean it was like James Cameron was REALLY taking the whole religion seriously. Made me look down a little on him as a person to be quite honest.
I also didn't get Sigourney Weaver's character - as a human she was no-nonsense tough lady, as an Avatar she was an emotional sap.

Otherwise I did like the villian military general guy who played the part very well, and the other characters were good too. There was just something missing, I agree, it was just hard to relate to the characters given all the strange choices they were making with their lives. The overall storyline was just plain weird too, in a sense it made it seem like they just made it up as they went along.

I'd say 4/5 stars, only because the action was just ummatched.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=610958313
Exhumed

Exhumed

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Kamerad Ash wrote:

Or District 9.
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

Number of posts : 5020
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Garrison4JC wrote:
I had people all around me applauding "Avatar" as if it were THE best movie they had ever seen (one actually DID say that). I am more of a "Braveheart" or "Gladiator" kind of guy...but some Sci-Fi is fairly entertaining.

yes Grim Banger

And Avatar WAS Amazing! One of the few movies I had any interest in recently besides 2012.
Back to top Go down
lord voldemort

lord voldemort

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:51 pm

I liked it, the two times I saw it, one in 3-d and the other in regular format.

What is pandorum?
Back to top Go down
oteis

oteis

Number of posts : 3067
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Avatar was most definetely NOT the best movie of the year, but still quite enjoyable to watch. I agree for most parts with your observation Kamarad Ash. The story indeed was predictable, no plot twists. Not very original, however very enjoyable...
Back to top Go down
mazzie

mazzie

Number of posts : 5090
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Will watch once it's out on blu-ray.
Back to top Go down
http://mazziereviewmusic.blogspot.com
Sutekh

Sutekh

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Exhumed wrote:
Kamerad Ash wrote:

Or District 9.

This.
Back to top Go down
Averzaath

Averzaath

Number of posts : 1147
Registration date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 am

the reason I have not and will not see this in the theaters;

Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Avatar_pocahontas
Back to top Go down
http://www.bob-haagma.com/
olias

olias

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 am

Dammit Bob, I was going to post that. Oh well, it is a great pic.
Back to top Go down
Averzaath

Averzaath

Number of posts : 1147
Registration date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:44 pm

gooby
Back to top Go down
http://www.bob-haagma.com/
Usvart Jorge

Usvart Jorge

Number of posts : 758
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.   Avatar.   You've got to be kidding me. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Avatar. You've got to be kidding me.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: Everything Else :: Movies / TV-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com