BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ultmetal

ultmetal

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2009-07-28

The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Vide
PostSubject: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:26 pm

If you were writing a book on the history of heavy metal. What would be the primary bands you would list from each decade? The 70's, from the 80's, 90's, 00's, etc.

Would you include the proto-metal bands of the late 60's/early 70's? (Sir Lord Baltimore, Free, Grand Funk Railroad, Iron Butterfly, Bloodrock, MC5, etc) Some even list the Beatles "Helter Skelter" as the first proto-metal song, as it was a product of McCartney's deliberate effort to create a sound as loud, heavy and dirty as possible.

Most would not deny the European bands on the 1970's were heavy metal. Bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, UFO, etc. What about their American counter parts? Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, etc.?

Do you consider bands like Quiet Riot, Ratt, Stryper, Motley Crue, Dokken etc. that came out of the 80's California scene to be heavy metal?

Many list Led Zeppelin, Blue Cheer, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath as the earliest heavy metal bands, and the most influential. Some even list Jimi Hendrix as a major influence, though few would actually label Hendrix as a metal artist. Who would you say were the main bands to inspire the first metal movement?

And finally, what about bands like Slipknot, K0RN, etc. Do they deserve a place in a book about the History of Heavy Metal?

Thanks for your answers.
ult
Back to top Go down
sherri

sherri

Number of posts : 802
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:23 pm

aerosmith,ted nugent,deep purple,judas priest,iron maiden,some zep and of course sabbath..some of the later metalist like you mentioned..slip knot,korn etc.didnt impress me as "true" metal."true" metal to me had excellent hard driving lyrics as well as the sound! i could go and say i was impresed with "helter skelter" had great riffs good hard driven but,got a little freaked out w/ manson connection.hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/postivepromotions
The Last Firstborn

The Last Firstborn

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:37 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Would you include the proto-metal bands of the late 60's/early 70's? (Sir Lord Baltimore, Free, Grand Funk Railroad, Iron Butterfly, Bloodrock, MC5, etc) Some even list the Beatles "Helter Skelter" as the first proto-metal song, as it was a product of McCartney's deliberate effort to create a sound as loud, heavy and dirty as possible.

Definitely.

Quote :
Most would not deny the European bands on the 1970's were heavy metal. Bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, UFO, etc. What about their American counter parts? Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, etc.?

Do you consider bands like Quiet Riot, Ratt, Stryper, Motley Crue, Dokken etc. that came out of the 80's California scene to be heavy metal?

Many list Led Zeppelin, Blue Cheer, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath as the earliest heavy metal bands, and the most influential. Some even list Jimi Hendrix as a major influence, though few would actually label Hendrix as a metal artist. Who would you say were the main bands to inspire the first metal movement?

In my opinion, Sabbath and Priest are probably the two bands most responsible for laying the groundwork for heavy metal. The 80's California scene shifted metal from an underground rebellion to a mainstream hit, then thrash came with the same DIY approach as the rising punk scene and turned metal from one extreme to another, making it rawer, dirtier and heavier than ever before, and paved the way for extreme bands like Venom, Sodom, Mayhem, Burzum and Death. So both hair metal and thrash are important aspects of the form.

Quote :
And finally, what about bands like Slipknot, K0RN, etc. Do they deserve a place in a book about the History of Heavy Metal?

Nu metal/metalcore is as much of a metal movement as any other subgenre. Today it is being disparaged as "trendy" and "untrue", but thrash, hair metal, death metal, black metal, power metal and almost every other metal movement received a similar backlash from purists when they first rose to prominence. (Critics seem to think that nu metal/metalcore is the first movement to make metal appealing to non-metalhead audiences... uhhh... *cough*80's California scene*cough* *cough*Metallica*cough* *cough*goth metal*cough*) I really do think that once the fads have subsided, nu metal, metalcore and deathcore will conquer the "haters" and weave their way into the history of metal. I think they do deserve a place, but a small/concise and non-speculative one, considering that this style still hasn't finished coming into its own.

Other bands that deserve coverage are Venom, Mayhem, Burzum, Death, Mercyful Fate and Hellhammer. Hope my input is helpful, good luck with the book dude! Grim Banger

Last edited by LastFirstborn on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Black Sabbath to me is the father of metal. Bands like Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer and Zep definitely prepared people for it. Priest, Motorhead, Nugent and BOC definitely took metal and added their parts to it.

As for the glam metal, I definitely consider it metal. While some bands were just looking like glam bands, there were plenty that were indeed metal.

And as for metalcore, I'd consider it a subgenre of metal. Just as thrash came from a mix of metal and punk, metalcore came from a mix of hardcore and metal.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal

ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Excellent posts so far. Thanks for the thoughts.
Back to top Go down
sherri

sherri

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm

just bring on the thrash!! you know that EVIL metal!! lol!!! shhhhh! dont tell mom but,wasnt judas priest and black sabbath christian metal??? no? thats what i told mom back in the day!! forgot to mention rainbow,also boston and i agree with iron butterfly and blue oyster cult..i mean i love power metal and thrash artists( i better huh,ult? lol! just kidding!) h/e i definately have a love in my heart for the old school artists that i have mentioned in both my posts! metal up! neck snappin,fist pumpin,head banging...Heart of metal! thats what i am talking about!! cheers Grim Banger Banger
Back to top Go down
Garrison4JC

Garrison4JC

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 am

The "father's of metal" in my mind came from the "Acid Rock" genre of the late 1960's, early 1970's. If you do not hear elements of Metal in those bands, I would be rather surprised.

1960's
Led Zeppelin
Iron Butterfly
Deep Purple
Steppenwolf
Jimi Hendrix
The Doors
Grand Funk Railroad

1970's
Motorhead
Black Sabbath
Uriah Heep
UFO
Blue Oyster Cult
Kiss
Scorpions
ACDC
Judas Priest
Rainbow

1980's
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Venom
Diamond Head
Slayer
Testament
Helloween
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/garrison4jc
ultmetal

ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 am

Excellent post Garrison! Agree 100%
Back to top Go down
sherri

sherri

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 pm

pssssst scott,hes a big Ultimatum fan too! plays the band alot on his show! just saying!! cheers
Back to top Go down
ultmetal

ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:39 am

Cool. Thanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I'm not sure I'd include Grand Funk Railroad in that, unless you have heard more of their early material than I have. I've always considered them to be on the lighter side of the "boogie rock" coin myself.

JowyOnyx wrote:
Nu metal/metalcore is as much of a metal movement as any other subgenre. Today it is being disparaged as "trendy" and "untrue", but thrash, hair metal, death metal, black metal, power metal and almost every other metal movement received a similar backlash from purists when they first rose to prominence. (Critics seem to think that nu metal/metalcore is the first movement to make metal appealing to non-metalhead audiences... uhhh... *cough*80's California scene*cough* *cough*Metallica*cough* *cough*goth metal*cough*) I really do think that once the fads have subsided, nu metal, metalcore and deathcore will conquer the "haters" and weave their way into the history of metal. I think they do deserve a place, but a small/concise and non-speculative one, considering that this style still hasn't finished coming into its own.

Other bands that deserve coverage are Venom, Mayhem, Burzum, Death, Mercyful Fate and Hellhammer. Hope my input is helpful, good luck with the book dude! Grim Banger

Well said. I think there are too many who limit the metal genre by excluding the 80's glam bands (Metal Archives, anyone?), as well as the nu-metal/metalcore side (arguably heavier and more "menacing" than anything that came out of the 70's, save perhaps for Black Sabbath. I think you're right - once the style falls more completely out of favor, what will be left is a fan base that is loyal to it because it's what they like, and the rest of the metal world will eventually begin to assimilate those subsets as just part of the overall "fold".
Back to top Go down
http://metalfroreview.blogspot.com
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-08-25

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:57 am

Deep Purple needs a lot more respect in this regard I think.... Everyone says 'Sabbath' or 'Priest' but not Deep Purple....

From Richie Blackmore's guitar playing which inspired a million others... (Dave Murray - 'machine head' is one of his favorite albums)

Gillian's wail and scream just lets it all hang out.

Ian Paice and Roger Glover need I say more....

and not to forget the legendary John Lord........

As far as tunage FORGET SMoke on the Water, How 'bout Fireball, Child in Time, Woman in Tokyo, ect.... They brought the melody and musicianship while the others brought heaviness and doom... (with no disrespect to Priest or Sabbath)....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
sherri

sherri

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:51 am

i mentioned Rainbow..i was a dio sabbath fan since,i followed dio from rainbow to sabbath! so agree with you there.blackmore and dio was a great combo!

also,i loved "woman from Tokyo" far better than "Smoke on the Water" every little garage band and high school band i knew was playing it. was so overplayed!

so again,mr.electric,awesome reviewer that you are..no pun intented..you and i agree once more! cheers
Back to top Go down
TheBeastSlayer

TheBeastSlayer

Number of posts : 2165
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:48 pm

mr.electric40 wrote:
Deep Purple needs a lot more respect in this regard I think.... Everyone says 'Sabbath' or 'Priest' but not Deep Purple....

From Richie Blackmore's guitar playing which inspired a million others... (Dave Murray - 'machine head' is one of his favorite albums)

Gillian's wail and scream just lets it all hang out.

Ian Paice and Roger Glover need I say more....

and not to forget the legendary John Lord........

As far as tunage FORGET SMoke on the Water, How 'bout Fireball, Child in Time, Woman in Tokyo, ect.... They brought the melody and musicianship while the others brought heaviness and doom... (with no disrespect to Priest or Sabbath)....
What was the DP songs that went like: "Capitulation, kill em all. Somethinguhlation Watch the mighty falL!"
Super heavey and most definitely metal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purevolume.com/themasterofawesomeness
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?   The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The Book of Heavy Metal...Metal or Not?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: Band Forums :: Ultimatum-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com