BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Electronic Drums

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
againsttheantichrist

Number of posts : 1120
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Electronic Drums Vide
PostSubject: Electronic Drums   Electronic Drums Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:55 am

And no I'm not talking about the one that can fit on a coffee table *at Toodles*.

I'm looking for an electronic set that's extremely flexible (essentially, I should be able to jump from praise/worship, to black metal, and back again without a problem). 4 Toms minimum, five if possible (one must be a floor tom). Ride, high hat, 3 cymbals, and a bass drum that can handle a double kick pedal. I'm not worried about price at the moment. God has called me to learn the drums, and if He's in it, the issue with price is moot.

Also looking for ways to mount things like tambourine, chimes, and a cowbell (yes I said cowbell.....no you're not dreaming).

As far as why I'm wanting electronic. First, it's compact: I don't have to throw out half a room to fit a drum set. Which is nice since space is extremely tight. Two, it has adjustable volume, which will let me play on them without blowing half the neighborhoods' ear drums to the moon (which will also make my dad very happy).
Back to top Go down
rebornholy

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Electronic Drums Vide
PostSubject: Re: Electronic Drums   Electronic Drums Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:06 am

Hey Against,

I have a Yamaha DTX Explorer and that has been a great little practice set.... it was about $1800 AUD when i bought it years ago, i think there like 1200-1400 AUD now..... the only complaint i have about it is there all rubber pads like a practice pad but a bit denser. However your alternative is the Roland V drums set and they great as well... most of the heads on the rolands are like a flexible mesh instead of a rubber pad, and this i've found is a bit more responsive.
Look at the price point you want to spend too, and do you ultimately want to change all the samples on the brain or the drum module, if so you would be looking at the upper price bracket of either yamaha or Roland. I've seen some of the modules that you can actually grab an external HD and upload studio samples to the drum module and then configure your kit sounds as you like..... these were modules in excess of 2500.00 AUD. With the Tom configuration you can add additional drum pads on dependant on the electric drum set you buy, they have sockets on the back of the drum modules to add addtional toms etc...
Also with the add ons like a cow bell you can use a standard bracket that you would use to put on a drumset... however most electronic drum kits now come with the percussion samples so you may not even need to worry about the additions.
I would suggest going down to your local drum shop, that sell both brands, sit down and actually have a really good jam on both brands and see what you think !! any other queries man shoot me a private message
Back to top Go down
Nosral

Nosral

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Electronic Drums Vide
PostSubject: Re: Electronic Drums   Electronic Drums Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:08 pm

I highly suggest Roland stuff... The TD 8 is one I have worked with, its a great unit.
Back to top Go down
Chou

Chou

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Electronic Drums Vide
PostSubject: Re: Electronic Drums   Electronic Drums Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 pm

My drummer was playing on a Roland V-Drum set. It had 4 toms, kick, snare, hihat, crash, ride, and china (all configurable, of course)

It's a $5k set. So it's not cheap, but it sounds and plays amazing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/echelonhigh
wiremu.white

wiremu.white

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Electronic Drums Vide
PostSubject: Re: Electronic Drums   Electronic Drums Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:35 am

againsttheantichrist wrote:
And no I'm not talking about the one that can fit on a coffee table *at Toodles*.

I'm looking for an electronic set that's extremely flexible (essentially, I should be able to jump from praise/worship, to black metal, and back again without a problem). 4 Toms minimum, five if possible (one must be a floor tom). Ride, high hat, 3 cymbals, and a bass drum that can handle a double kick pedal. I'm not worried about price at the moment. God has called me to learn the drums, and if He's in it, the issue with price is moot.

Also looking for ways to mount things like tambourine, chimes, and a cowbell (yes I said cowbell.....no you're not dreaming).

As far as why I'm wanting electronic. First, it's compact: I don't have to throw out half a room to fit a drum set. Which is nice since space is extremely tight. Two, it has adjustable volume, which will let me play on them without blowing half the neighborhoods' ear drums to the moon (which will also make my dad very happy).

I've tried several V-drum sets and have been playing them for years. In my honest opinion, they are perhaps overrated and they sound very 'MIDI', as electronic kits do. Build quality is good. There isnt a lot of choice when it comes to electronic kits anyway.

One kit that does look quite interesting to me is the Clavia DDrum 4. The default sound I think is better than the typical Roland electronic kit, and you can upload your own samples. I hope to buy one eventually. They are no longer made, but they sound good for an electronic kit.

There's also a follow up to the DDrum4 about to be released, called the Drumit Five, made by a crowd called '2Box'. You may want to look into that.

Here's a couple of videos:

DDrum 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB5bxQbn8V8

2Box Drumit Five: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJZGMbcjiOY&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Electronic Drums Vide
PostSubject: Re: Electronic Drums   Electronic Drums Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Electronic Drums

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: Music Discussion :: Musicians Lair-
Free forum | Music | Rock, Punk, Alternative | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com