BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Who are your influances and what is your style?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Metalcps

Metalcps

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Who are your influances and what is your style? Vide
PostSubject: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:17 am

Hi all, i am new to this forum and i am also a guitarist/mandolin player i was just wondering ....who are your influances? I play alot of metal but i also play alot of blues and folk, i teach guitar so i play styles i dont even listen too like country,bluegrass,jazz ....my main guitar influances are Jake e Lee, Kirk Hammet, zakk wylde, Dime Bag Darrell, David gilmore, Larry Farkis, Robin Trower ,paul simon,.....so i feel that my playing has been heavly influanced by these artists over the years.....who influanced you? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GothiChild

GothiChild

Number of posts : 2005
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:22 am

I play keys and my influences are Erik Satie, Chopin

on the metal side: Dimmu Borgir, Virgin Black, Epica and Trail Of Tears
Back to top Go down
Torrente

Torrente

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 am

I don't analyse the playing style of a specific musician. I listen to music and if I find a lick that pleases me, I perhaps remember some day and use it (maybe slightly modified) in my own play. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hero

Hero

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:18 pm

I play bass and my influences are Lamb of God, Living Sacrifice, Miseration...
I love playing groovy riffs.

Last edited by Hero on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Theonymic

Theonymic

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:53 pm

My influences: Cynic, Blut aus Nord, Clint Black, Meshuggah, Aletheian, Mastodon, Virus, Esoteric, Gordian Knot, Virgin Black, Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Mats/Morgan Band.

My style: Currently Blackened Prog, and also classical
Back to top Go down
Mikey Erasmus

Mikey Erasmus

Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:43 pm

I play tons of different music and have way too many influences.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/erasmustn
The Last Firstborn

The Last Firstborn

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:01 pm

My influences: Cannibal Corpse, Between the Buried and Me, Zao, Emperor, Gorgoroth, Impending Doom, Napalm Death, Mayhem, Brutal Truth, Horde, Suffocation, Haste the Day, early Mortification, Virgin Black and Scott "Klayton" Albert.

My styles: Death metal, black metal, metalcore, grindcore and thrash metal.
Back to top Go down
mystery

mystery

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:53 pm

influences-whitehouse, sutcliffe jugend, crank sturgeon, the inacapacitants, merzbow, genocide organ, NON, nurse with wound.
Back to top Go down
Metalcps

Metalcps

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:44 am

Wow, alot of variety of influances here..lol thats cool , ill have to look up some of the ones i havent heard before , and one of my main Influance i forgot to mention is Randy Rhodes, Ozzys 1st guitarist...he is awsome!
Back to top Go down
vaterflaumig

vaterflaumig

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 am

A lot of Mikael Akerfeldt comes out in my guitar playing. His style of music just clicked with me on a level that no one else has. Lately some Paul Masvidal kind of stuff has been working its way in as well. All together it makes for some pretty strange but cool sounding stuff. I really want to keep developing this. rawr <---- I just thought that it was funny.
Back to top Go down
Saint Raven

Saint Raven

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:18 am

industrial / ambient / soundscape

influences are: blackhouse, mental destruction, lustmord, kraftwerk, xasthur, burzum ... etc
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cephalophore
ELAN

ELAN

Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:06 am

Well, a lot of depressive black metal and doom gives me influence, also early 90s Norse black metal. But apart from that, I am big into just about anything somewhat moody and atmospheric. Dream folk, shoegaze, ambient, some jazz, old blues records, and things like that.
Normally, by biggest influence comes when this music is coupled with a fitting environmental atmosphere. Say, if I'm listening to some depressive rock while out in a scummy city, that will give me some ideas. Or if I am passing through some hills while listening to ambient, that will do it for me as well.

I'd say my style is very simple: atmospheric and moody.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/elanschambers
Mark

Mark

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:43 am

I am influenced by Death, Darkthrone, Burzum, Xasthur, Silencer, Bathory, Temnozor, Virgin Black, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Drudkh, among other bands. I play guitar, mainly death and black metal. When I just play around you can definitely see the influence of Chuck Schuldiner.
Back to top Go down
Metalcps

Metalcps

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:16 am

Mark wrote:
When I just play around you can definitely see the influence of Chuck Schuldiner.

Chuck Schuldiner is one of my favorite guitarist for sure, i wish he was still alive Neutral
Back to top Go down
Metalcps

Metalcps

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:20 am

ELAN wrote:
Well, a lot of depressive black metal and doom gives me influence, also early 90s Norse black metal. But apart from that, I am big into just about anything somewhat moody and atmospheric. Dream folk, shoegaze, ambient, some jazz, old blues records, and things like that.
Normally, by biggest influence comes when this music is coupled with a fitting environmental atmosphere. Say, if I'm listening to some depressive rock while out in a scummy city, that will give me some ideas. Or if I am passing through some hills while listening to ambient, that will do it for me as well.

I'd say my style is very simple: atmospheric and moody.

That sounds very cool Razz
Back to top Go down
HellxBovine

HellxBovine

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:32 am

I play bass and my influences come from a lot of different places. I first started getting into Megadeth, then Dream Theater, then Metallica. I went to a pentecostal church for a while and played in the youth choir, and almost played a few Sunday services, so I'm very familiar with gospel.
My influences come from Dream Theater, Death, Aletheian, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus, Metallica, Extol, and many others. I like playing thrash riffs with gospel techniques, and I could play to almost any type of music.

For a while I also was interested in learning banjo.
Never got around to it though Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lancelot1510
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:54 pm

mystery wrote:
merzbow.
lol, I saw video of them live in Hokkaido, and all the Japanese people watching had their hands over their ears.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:58 pm

Gorgoroth. Deathspell Omega. (Later) Darkthrone. Drottnar. Destroyer 666. Dissection. Ved Buens Ende. Virus. Opeth. Akira Yamaoka. Yes.
These guys know how to write songs, and that is what I hope I do...write great songs.
Back to top Go down
ELAN

ELAN

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:35 pm

olias wrote:
Gorgoroth. Deathspell Omega. (Later) Darkthrone. Drottnar. Destroyer 666. Dissection. Ved Buens Ende. Virus. Opeth. Akira Yamaoka. Yes.
These guys know how to write songs, and that is what I hope I do...write great songs.

Mmm... delicious combination.
Back to top Go down
ELAN

ELAN

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:36 pm

mystery wrote:
influences-whitehouse, sutcliffe jugend, crank sturgeon, the inacapacitants, merzbow, genocide organ, NON, nurse with wound.

VERY nice.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:26 pm

thanks Elan. Great EP BTW. The one on EEE website.
Back to top Go down
Nosral

Nosral

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:32 pm

I play guitar
I think bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Metallica all gave me a love for the "riff" and the influence of players like this has been huge on my playing. I really dont care if I am ever the greatest or most technical player, but I want to be a great riff writer and player.

But I also love bands like Atheist, Believer, Carcass, Kreator, Opeth, Extol, Voivod, and think they have influenced me.

probably the odd thing is that while i am a lover of riffs, and i listen to the guitar tons, I for years sang for bands, and that actually plays a major influence to my approach to the guitar... Though I dont know if you hear it or not, but i know it affects my thinking.
Back to top Go down
FireProphet

FireProphet

Number of posts : 746

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:06 pm

I have a solo grind project I intend to work on until I die... so eventually I'll have enough tracks for a release and it will be good Wink
Anyway, my influences are simple: Vomitorial Corpulence, Devourment, Safeguard.
Through those three there are bands that I also look to like early Napalm Death, Suffocation (Effigy), and various old school punk/hardcore bands.
Back to top Go down
Nosral

Nosral

Number of posts : 48

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:09 am

my grind will be much more death metal than traditional grind...though I like Nasum and Napalm alot, its not my goal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who are your influances and what is your style?   Who are your influances and what is your style? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Who are your influances and what is your style?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: Music Discussion :: Musicians Lair-
Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com