BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Book Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442
Registration date : 2008-11-02

The Book Thread - Page 3 Vide
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:25 am

Ehrman's problem is that he didn't go through the program correctly. I've heard from several minister friends that going through seminary they first break apart your faith and then build it back up so you have a stronger faith. Ehrman didn't do that so when confronted with the truth about the New Testament, he let his weaker faith get lost in his own ideology.
Back to top Go down
mazzie

mazzie

Number of posts : 5090
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 am

ah i see..that's interesting
Back to top Go down
http://mazziereviewmusic.blogspot.com
metalmennonite

metalmennonite

Number of posts : 597
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:17 pm

I should probably say that I finally got a copy of "Blue Like Jazz" and have started reading it. I'm about half-way through and I have to say, "Great book!" Thought-provoking, funny, insightful, and honest! I love it! Thanks for the recommendation.
Back to top Go down
http://hmcfreeman.org
laurenwrites

laurenwrites

Number of posts : 3763

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:19 pm

metalmennonite wrote:
I should probably say that I finally got a copy of "Blue Like Jazz" and have started reading it. I'm about half-way through and I have to say, "Great book!" Thought-provoking, funny, insightful, and honest! I love it! Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome. I love that book! If you really like it you should check out Don's other three books, and he's got another coming out in September I believe. "To Own a Dragon" is awsome, and yes it is for "older men mentoring younger men" but it's still a great read for anyone. My favorite after Blue Like Jazz.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lae1218
Sutekh

Sutekh

Number of posts : 1356

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:42 am

laurenwrites wrote:
Reading the Illiad now. It's pretty cool so far. I've got the translation by Lattimore.

Me too. It's very good.

On a similar note, I'm reading some hitorical fiction -Helen of Troy, which is very much her perspective on The Iliad.
Back to top Go down
laurenwrites

laurenwrites

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Sutekh wrote:
laurenwrites wrote:
Reading the Illiad now. It's pretty cool so far. I've got the translation by Lattimore.

Me too. It's very good.

On a similar note, I'm reading some hitorical fiction -Helen of Troy, which is very much her perspective on The Iliad.

I'll have to look into that. I have a translation of The Odyssey by T.H. Lawrence that I'm really looking forward to reading when I'm done with this.
Back to top Go down
Shamax

Shamax

Number of posts : 701
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Finished the King James Only book, and now about halfway through a book I received for free at an event my church held yesterday - Dr. Tom Nettles from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary came to give a few lectures on the life, ministry, and theology of John Calvin as well as the effect of the Reformation upon the modern church. Everyone who attended received a free copy of THL Parker's "Portrait of Calvin" - a re-printing that's being published by Desiring God ministries with a foreword by John Piper. Book's about 125 pages and I'm a little over halfway through it now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/Shamax
mystery

mystery

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:43 pm

im reading the ascent of mount carmel by saint john of the cross
and i just finished esoteric christianity by angie besant
read it
Back to top Go down
lizzie.christine

lizzie.christine

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm currently reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller.
Back to top Go down
oteis

oteis

Number of posts : 3067
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:35 pm

I finally started reading the Harry Potter Series. I now know that i should have read the books first before watching the movies. Wow blown away!
Back to top Go down
laurenwrites

laurenwrites

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:24 pm

lizzie.christine wrote:
I'm currently reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Lady Thornball

Lady Thornball

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:59 am

Finished reading Tolkien's The Hobbit.
And am now awaiting some books I ordered.
- The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux)
- Captain Wentworth's Diary (Amanda Grange)
In the meanwhile I continued in De Silmarillion (Tolkien) but it's a bit hard to get through in my humble opinion. Though quite interesting nevertheless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ladythornball
Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Currently working on Dune Messiah, but I'm really not in the mood for it. I'm only a couple chapters in, so I might give up it
Back to top Go down
Matt

Number of posts : 7214

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:53 am

I just bought ''wreck this journal'' by Keri Smith
Back to top Go down
IMP

IMP

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:20 pm

1984 and Planet Janet, some crap novel I found in my house. I think my boss gave it to me.
Back to top Go down
lyndadls

lyndadls

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Some mind-candy romance novel. . .I expect to forget it as soon as it's read and move on to another. .. .kind of like eating M&Ms. I've found it difficult to interest myself in literature or non-fiction since graduate school. . . reading 500 pages per day of history will do that to you. Of course, being a librarian, I have access to a wide variety of reading materials and often avail myself of them.

For those that like to read history, try Alfred Crosby's "The Columbian Exchange" it is one of the best books about the history of the "discovery" of the Americas that I have ever ready, it will really change your perspective on the history you were taught in school.

I'll be reading the Twilight series soon as the library is going to host a series of "Twilight" based events this fall and I need to see what it's all about so I can help with the planning.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh

Sutekh

Number of posts : 1356

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:36 am

Lady Thornball wrote:
Finished reading Tolkien's The Hobbit. In the meanwhile I continued in De Silmarillion (Tolkien) but it's a bit hard to get through in my humble opinion. Though quite interesting nevertheless.

I've just picked up The Silmarillion again. I started it five years ago, but we had a newborn at the time, so my concentration wasn't happening! Hoping to get more into it this time, because it is interesting!
Back to top Go down
Lady Thornball

Lady Thornball

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:45 am

Lady Thornball wrote:
Finished reading Tolkien's The Hobbit.
And am now awaiting some books I ordered.
- The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux)
- Captain Wentworth's Diary (Amanda Grange)
In the meanwhile I continued in De Silmarillion (Tolkien) but it's a bit hard to get through in my humble opinion. Though quite interesting nevertheless.

Well, both books arrived and I've finished reading both too in a couple of days. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ladythornball
oteis

oteis

Number of posts : 3067
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:10 am

currently reading
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
Back to top Go down
mazzie

mazzie

Number of posts : 5090

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm reading 1421 by gavin menzies.

really good!
Back to top Go down
http://mazziereviewmusic.blogspot.com
Gorlim (OMW)

Gorlim (OMW)

Number of posts : 1171
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:39 pm

Currently reading The Legacy by R. A. Salvatore. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thepoet777
againsttheantichrist

Number of posts : 1120
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Probably wrap up the bible in the next week or so.

After that, I'm going to start one book and two studies:

The Book:

Martin Luther - Bondage Of The Will

The Two Studies:

Josh McDowell - Evidence For Christianity
Martin Lloyd-Jones - Studies In The Sermon On The Mount.
Back to top Go down
GothiChild

GothiChild

Number of posts : 2005

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Evidence that demands a veredict by Josh McDowell. long as heck!

Also reading about Gregorian Chants, Medieval Music and music in the early church for my Music History class. super super interesting. Cool
Back to top Go down
Theonymic

Theonymic

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:26 am

Tolkien's "The Treason of Isengard." It's part of a series of his son's study of his father's collected notes and how he slowly developed the story of LOTR from The Hobbit and what more ancient Middle Earth history had been created.
Back to top Go down
Tree Demon

Tree Demon

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-05-14

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 am

Everybody needs to check out the book The Final Quest it brings a good message to the reader.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/slitherspoon2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The Book Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Create a forum on Forumotion | Music | Rock, Punk, Alternative | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com