BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Veggie Thread 2.0

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Please no trolling or flaming.

Just a place to discuss ideas and recipes and the like. Once more, with feeling.
Back to top Go down
The Last Firstborn

The Last Firstborn

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:01 pm

I've been vegetarian since I was 14. I originally did it because I was overweight and thought it'd help, but then I started reading about the ethical side of it and health benefits and then I was sold on it. I'm a blood type B, so a diet heavy on healthy carbs is good for me; keeps me feeling energetic.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Steamed asparagus is a personal favorite of mine! No butter or salt or any of that stuff. Just steam the veggies! It's great!

I've got a soft spot for brussel sprouts too, but I like some butter and salt with them. Same with Lima beans....

Anyone ever had fried green beans? I've heard their really good, but I haven't tried them yet. (actually, a friend of mine promised to make me the dish)

My personal favorite with green beans is the casserole, with cream of mushroom soup and the dried onions toppings. My girlfriend makes it and puts mushrooms in it. It rocks!!!

I've been trying to take the sweet potatoe / yam approach rather than traditional potatoes because they're lower in carbs, but I don't like them in the brown sugar/marshmallow manner.

....fried sweet potatoes rock really hard though.

(oh, and all my mentionings of frying, Olive oil or bust)

Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
Shamax

Shamax

Number of posts : 701
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:41 pm

Asparagus rocks! The only fried green beans I've had was at TGIFriday's, and those were good, but wouldn't necessarily call em "health food" Wink

I do love roasting green beans in the oven though. just put em in a bowl with a couple teaspoons of olive oil, some salt & pepper, and toss to coat then roast em in the oven. I've also roasted canned garbanzo beans before. They taste great with either chili powder or any of those "popcorn salt" flavorings - kind makes em like a healthier version of CornNuts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/Shamax
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:14 pm

I am not a huge fan of Asparagus. Not so much the flavor but the consistency. I don't know about the fresh raw kind, but I had some from the can, and parts of the asparagus was soft, but the outside was stringy and tough to chew.

The Last Firstborn wrote:
I've been vegetarian since I was 14. I originally did it because I was overweight and thought it'd help, but then I started reading about the ethical side of it and health benefits and then I was sold on it. I'm a blood type B, so a diet heavy on healthy carbs is good for me; keeps me feeling energetic.

Thats awesome buddy. Oh...and your new avvie is loli-tastic.

Any who...I am usually take a south of the border approach. Beans and rice create the perfect protein. I don't like soy too much, but I love the taste and consistency of tofu. I blame (and thank) Japan for that. Miso soup is awesome.

Oh and Tom, as far as meat without/with a face in my previous thread...my body doesn't particularly react well to meat consumption for whatever reason, so there is that too.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Canned asparagus vs fresh asparagus is like comparing:

canned pineapple to fresh pineapple
canned tuna to fresh tuna

Seriously. There's a night and day difference. I don't eat canned asparagus if I can help it.
Fresh or frozen or bust.

I'm also a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of fried cabbage. You have your olive oil, some salt, some onion and garlic, and a touch of Worcestershire sauce..... You've got a GREAT DISH!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms, and asparagus are all awesome in stir fry dishes.
Back to top Go down
The Last Firstborn

The Last Firstborn

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Tallerthanatree wrote:
Cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms, and asparagus are all awesome in stir fry dishes.

This is true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Veggie Thread 2.0 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Veggie Thread 2.0   Veggie Thread 2.0 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Veggie Thread 2.0

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com