BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cussing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

Number of posts : 5020
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:12 pm

I know there is many different views on it out here. I want to hear your guy's opinion on it.

Is it a sin to cuss?
Is it only a sin to use profanity in a way directed at someone?
If cussing is a sin...what qualifies as a cuss word?
Is cussing the same as cursing?
If it's not the word that is the sin but the motive..does that mean words like heck, freakin, crap, screw you, bs are also viewed as cussing?

All these questions I'm still trying to figure out. I've seen many verses that people try to show to prove both sides of the fence, but none really give a definite answer.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:57 pm

Mind out, that there's a cultural gap as well. "You have a bloody nose!" means something different in the US than it does in Britain. ^_^

My take on it, it's based on an intention factor and an offense factor.
Some people are greatly offended by cussing/swearing or even certain words.

It's more the approach/tact or emotions/feelings behind it, than the words itself.
Probably why shouting profanity in public can get you arrested, while swearing in a courtroom (as a witness statement) will not.

In regards to certain words? I knew an older lady that wouldn't mind "damn" or "darn", but the word "dang" just rubbed her the wrong way. She HATED that word. Why? Well, that doesn't matter - it offended her.

Would it be a sin to intentionally say "dang" to that old woman, knowing she didn't like that word? In my opinion, yes. Saying "Ni" to her? It would be alright if you were getting a shrubbery. (I wonder how many people will get that)

What about two friends in a private conversation, "cussing in comfort" at/to each other? Even saying the f-bomb, even the "see you in tea" word..... if those two friends ARE NOT offended by this, I say it is not a sin. If onlookers hear and are offended, then it is a sin.

Namecalling. It's not a "cuss word", but if the offense factor is there, it's as much a sin. If your black friend is cool with the N' word, then there's no problem. If your gay friend doesn't like the word "stupid", reckless/careless use of that word would be a sin.

Once again, I believe it has to do with the emotions/feelings/tact/approach and a persons standards more than it does the actual words being used.

Personally, I cuss on a regular basis. At work, I'm surrounded by people, even church goers, and its the normal lingo. Nothing too far out, just the typical PG13 stuff. No one is offended, I am sure of it. I didn't start out cussing.... waters were tested, and now there's free swimming.

I take offense to being cussed at. It doesn't even have to be words - being flipped off for example. I do not tolerate this.

Once again, it doesn't have to do with what's said (or not said), but a weight between intention from the "pitcher" and reaction from the "catcher".

Then there's the commandment about NOT taking the Lord's name in vain. "in vain" doesn't refer to cussing at God, but using it carelessly or demoting His name's value.

Would referring to God in lower case "lord jesus christ" in a forum be considered taking his name in vain? It could be. God can weigh the motive behind it - but being that could offend other people, there's a sin factor there as well.

I know I didn't directly answer your questions Matt, but hopefully you can draw a general conclusion, at least of my point of view on this.

Last edited by Hguols on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:59 pm

No.

Cursing is a sin.

Cussing is not. Unless you are so Epic with your cussing that it becomes cursing.

And somehow we are back to the subject of "Curses".. haha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Hguols wrote:
Mind out, that there's a cultural gap as well. "You have a bloody nose!" means something different in the US than it does in Britain. ^_^

It's more the approach/tact or emotions/feelings behind it, than the words itself.
Probably why shouting profanity in public can get you arrested, while swearing in a courtroom (as a witness statement) will not.

In regards to certain words? I knew an older lady that wouldn't mind "damn" or "darn", but the word "dang" just rubbed her the wrong way. She HATED that word. Why? Well, that doesn't matter - it offended her.

Would it be a sin to intentionally say "dang" to that old woman, knowing she didn't like that word? In my opinion, yes. Saying "Ni" to her? It would be alright if you were getting a shrubbery. (I wonder how many people will get that)

What about two friends in a private conversation, "cussing in comfort" at/to each other? Even saying the f-bomb, even the "see you in tea" word..... if those two friends ARE NOT offended by this, I say it is not a sin. If onlookers hear and are offended, then it is a sin.

Namecalling. It's not a "cuss word", but if the offense factor is there, it's as much a sin. If your black friend is cool with the N' word, then there's no problem. If your gay friend doesn't like the word "stupid", reckless/careless use of that word would be a sin.

Once again, I believe it has to do with the emotions/feelings/tact/approach and a persons standards more than it does the actual words being used.

Personally, I cuss on a regular basis. At work, I'm surrounded by people, even church goers, and its the normal lingo. Nothing too far out, just the typical PG13 stuff. No one is offended, I am sure of it. I didn't start out cussing.... waters were tested, and now there's free swimming.

I take offense to being cussed at. It doesn't even have to be words - being flipped off for example. I do not tolerate this.

Once again, it doesn't have to do with what's said (or not said), but a weight between intention from the "pitcher" and reaction from the "catcher".

Then there's the commandment about NOT taking the Lord's name in vain. "in vain" doesn't refer to cussing at God, but using it carelessly or demoting His name's value.

Would referring to God in lower case "lord jesus christ" in a forum be considered taking his name in vain? It could be. God can weigh the motive behind it - but being that could offend other people, there's a sin factor there as well.

I know I didn't directly answer your questions Matt, but hopefully you can draw a general conclusion, at least of my point of view on this.

This post is WIN. Oh, and yes - you must bring me a shrubbery!
Back to top Go down
http://metalfroreview.blogspot.com
Gorlim (OMW)

Gorlim (OMW)

Number of posts : 1171
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:15 am

Hguols wrote:

+2000

I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with you 100% on every single part of this post.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thepoet777
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Hguols wrote:

"Nu!!!"

"No no. It's Ni."
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:05 pm

JeffdlS wrote:
Hguols wrote:

"Nu!!!"

"No no. It's Ni."

OOOOOOOOAAAOOOOAAAAOOOOO!!!!

No "Ahhh...." back of the throat "Ahhh..."
Back to top Go down
Ethereal Messenger

Ethereal Messenger

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:36 pm

I cuss quite a bit I have to admit. But, I have no problem with it. I agree with Hguols. I believe words are just words. It's people that change them for better or for worse. If I stub my toe Im not gonna say "Oh gee goley that hurt" Im gonna be like "F$^% S#@%!" It's the norm where I'm from. I do though respect everyones feelings and beliefs. And if they don't want me saying certain words then I won't.

I also don't believe saying "God D#mnit" is really a form of taking his name in vain. Lets say you were just in a situation where were you got royally screwed over. And you just got so overwhelmed with that situation that you roar "GOD D#MNIT! Well, if that were me I would mean that statement in all sense of it. As in God D#mn this stiuation. Cause it sucks. But if you're just throwing it around like you don't care. Then thats probably a different story.

Pick and chose your words carefully in any situation. IMO
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/etherealmessenger
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 pm

I cuss all the damn time, but I don't say "GD" or "JC". I don't really think it's taking the Lord's name in vain, but I just don't like it. I usually say "Gosh Dammit" or, since I'm from Texas, I get away with, "Dad-gummit!" Very Happy And, I say "Jeez Louise!"

Also, I have always wanted to say, "Jeezy Creezy, what on Earth is that?!"

If you get that, you are officially awesome.
Back to top Go down
Exhumed

Exhumed

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2009-07-19

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:58 pm

I too cuss, but I try to avoid it, leaving it just to those occassion where I suffer extreme physical pain, listen to uber brutal music or lose in stupid, retarded computer games.
Back to top Go down
Stender

Stender

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:06 pm

I think cursing in the bible is only referring to taking the lords name in vain. I can say f*ck as much as a I f*cking want and not feel conviction personally, and I think it should be that way because in reality and there is no difference in intent between freaken and f*cken.
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

Number of posts : 5020
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 pm

HOnestly my views are different on taking the lord's name in vain. In fact I don't feel right saying "Gosh", it just convicts me. Too me that's me trying to get as close as using his name as possible, but I'm not going to tell you guys who do say that that you're a sinner or judge you or anything, it's just I don't feel comfortable saying that.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:59 pm

MetLHed4GZus wrote:
HOnestly my views are different on taking the lord's name in vain. In fact I don't feel right saying "Gosh", it just convicts me. Too me that's me trying to get as close as using his name as possible, but I'm not going to tell you guys who do say that that you're a sinner or judge you or anything, it's just I don't feel comfortable saying that.

If you don't feel comfortable saying it, then don't say it! ^_^

"Vain" is just another word for worthless, or without value. Other definition is prideful or conceited. Like I said in a previous post, even deliberately typing "Jesus Christ" in lower case could be interpreted as taking His name in vain.

As far as prideful use, it goes hand in hand.

Back to top Go down
lizzie.christine

lizzie.christine

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 am

I don't think there's much wrong with cussing, unless a. it's in a hateful way toward someone, or b. it offends someone. It depends on the context and company. Would I say a cuss word around my parents? No, because they don't like it. I, personally, don't think cussing is a big deal.
Back to top Go down
Matt

Number of posts : 7214

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:00 am

it's all about the context in which it is used

(or how to turn Hguols huge post in 1 sentence)
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:37 am

Matt wrote:
it's all about the context in which it is used

(or how to turn Hguols huge post in 1 sentence)

TL;DR

^_^
Back to top Go down
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:12 am

SSG Jake wrote:
I cuss all the damn time

I think you mean to say "I cuss all the dad-gum time" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheBeastSlayer

TheBeastSlayer

Number of posts : 2165
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:26 am

I never really cuss unless I'm with my best guy friend.
We call each other names all the time lol.
Whore, slut, B92ih, C8*t, etc. etc. are how we say "love ya bro"
I don't do it around my parents cuz 1. they would rip me a new onw and 2. I respect my parents by not cursing around them, just as a respect thing. Regardless of how much they curse, I wont out of respect for them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purevolume.com/themasterofawesomeness
Napalm Dave37

Napalm Dave37

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:31 am

im on both side of the fence here, i am bad about cussing but i see toms point as well, i guess it all boils down to tolerence
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dave80tunes
oldschooldoom

oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 2080
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:18 pm

FARK!
Back to top Go down
Gorlim (OMW)

Gorlim (OMW)

Number of posts : 1171

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:42 pm

SSG Jake wrote:

EDDIE IZZARD! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thepoet777
Hguols

Hguols

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:19 pm

oldschooldoom wrote:
FARK!

SMOO!
Back to top Go down
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Gorlim (OMW) wrote:
SSG Jake wrote:

EDDIE IZZARD! cheers

Cussing Winternet
Back to top Go down
TheBeastSlayer

TheBeastSlayer

Number of posts : 2165
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:54 pm

SSG Jake wrote:
Gorlim (OMW) wrote:
SSG Jake wrote:

EDDIE IZZARD! cheers

Cussing Winternet
This thread wins cookies.
i just specified it.
Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.purevolume.com/themasterofawesomeness
sword of the heretic

sword of the heretic

Number of posts : 488

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:59 pm

I've had a potty mouth all my life. I'm wanting to change that. Not because I'm afraid of burning in hell, but because of my own convictions. My convictions are not your convictions. And I have no business determining if it's sinful. Stuff like context, purpose, and the fact that I'm not God have a lot to do with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sword_of_the_heretic
Sponsored content

Cussing Vide
PostSubject: Re: Cussing   Cussing Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Cussing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: Christian Discussion-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com