BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Frank Herbert's Dune

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vaterflaumig

vaterflaumig

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Frank Herbert's Dune Vide
PostSubject: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:00 am

I started reading this book and I am hooked. This is incredibly good.

Anyone else a fan of this series?
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Major fan. Of course, I'm also a giant fan of the 1985 movie interpretation, despite the insane liberties taken w/ the story. But yes, I read through Dune in high school, and have read a couple of the other volumes. Good stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
http://metalfroreview.blogspot.com
vaterflaumig

vaterflaumig

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:44 am

I am currently reading through the original book of Dune, and I am loving every bit of it. I watched the 2000 miniseries on Sci-Fi and I absolutely loved it, but now that I am reading the book, it has made the miniseries less amazing than what I had remembered.

I really want to continue with the other books as well, I hear that all of them are very good.
Back to top Go down
Gorlim (OMW)

Gorlim (OMW)

Number of posts : 1171
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:19 pm

I've always been interested in reading this series, but I've never started it. I'm huge science fiction and fantasy fan, so I should probably give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thepoet777
vaterflaumig

vaterflaumig

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:29 am

You really should man, it is great. There are a lot of installments in the series too, so if you like it, you have plenty to read.
Back to top Go down
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

Number of posts : 10442
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 am

Blue within blue
Back to top Go down
vaterflaumig

vaterflaumig

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 pm

It would be sweet to have fremen eyes.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:32 pm

vaterflaumig wrote:
I am currently reading through the original book of Dune, and I am loving every bit of it. I watched the 2000 miniseries on Sci-Fi and I absolutely loved it, but now that I am reading the book, it has made the miniseries less amazing than what I had remembered.

I really want to continue with the other books as well, I hear that all of them are very good.

I think the absolutely overwrought style of the 1985 movie made the miniseries ultra-boring for me. I would probably appreciate it more now than when it first aired, but I thought everybody was so STIFF in that production that it was just painful to watch. But, then, my love affair w/ the Alan Smithee cut of the original film goes back some 20 years Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Garrison4JC

Garrison4JC

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:49 pm

I enjoyed the Dune novels a lot! The 1980's movie adaptation was what got me into the books in the first place, so I have a sentimental attachment there. However, I never did see the most recent version from a couple years ago.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/garrison4jc
vaterflaumig

vaterflaumig

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:00 am

The director behind "Taken" and "From Paris With Love" is supposed to be starting production of a new Dune film. He apparently is a diehard Dune fan who wants to make a movie that mirrors the book exactly, plus the events that the book hints at occurring but doesn't go into detail about.
Back to top Go down
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:05 am

Garrison4JC wrote:
I enjoyed the Dune novels a lot! The 1980's movie adaptation was what got me into the books in the first place, so I have a sentimental attachment there. However, I never did see the most recent version from a couple years ago.

You didn't miss anything Razz

Besides, the original had Sting . . . how can you top that????
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:58 pm

^^ Exactly!

"All I can see is an Atreides I want to kill." - Feyd Rautha

vaterflaumig wrote:
The director behind "Taken" and "From Paris With Love" is supposed to be starting production of a new Dune film. He apparently is a diehard Dune fan who wants to make a movie that mirrors the book exactly, plus the events that the book hints at occurring but doesn't go into detail about.

I'll be waiting this with baited breath!
Back to top Go down
JeffdlS

JeffdlS

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
^^ Exactly!

"All I can see is an Atreides I want to kill." - Feyd Rautha

Frank Herbert's Dune Dvd-dune-sting
Back to top Go down
vaterflaumig

vaterflaumig

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:45 am

I actually tried watching the 84 version today and I couldn't do it. It just seemed way to 80s and filled with bad acting.

I began reading Dune Messiah today....anyone else read this?
If so, what is the price that Paul is always thinking has to be paid for freedom?
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am

^^ Which "cut" of the 80's film? The original theatrical release is difficult to follow & doesn't flow very well. The re-cut version which ended up on TV (& later on DVD), which is credited to Alan Smithee includes the prologue that helps immensely, and fleshes out the story with more scenes. I realize it's terribly 80's, but the way everything is so over the top & overwrought makes it that much more fun to watch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vaterflaumig

vaterflaumig

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:09 pm

It was the original 80s cut of the film, so maybe I should look for the Alan Smithee version. As it stands now, I prefer the 2000 miniseries much more than the movies.
Back to top Go down
HellxBovine

HellxBovine

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:11 pm

I just got into Dune near the middle of this deployment. It was slow building and confusing at first, but I really got into it! I finished Dune Messiah a while ago, but I couldn't find Children of Dune anywhere in Bahrain when we stopped there. Makes me angry! BOVINE SMASH!!! Frank Herbert's Dune 398891 chairbeat

I haven't seen any video interpretation, movie or otherwise, of Dune yet, but I refuse to until I finish the original series. I tried reading LOTR once, but totally gave up because I already saw the movies. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lancelot1510
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frank Herbert's Dune   Frank Herbert's Dune Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Frank Herbert's Dune

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com