BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Why do you make music?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Why do you make music? Vide
PostSubject: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Tue May 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Simple question, but this can have a deep answer.

For me, it's not just a single motive thing.

One reason is that its an outlet for me. A healthy distraction of sorts from life's bull-plop.

Another reason, is that it's fuel for me. Channeling my creativity into something I enjoy gets me really pumped up.

Its fun. Period.

Yet another reason has to do with my approach to music. Recently, I'm delving into experimental territory. I like taking the path less traveled (or the path not traveled at all) on purpose, even if that path might be considered a less appealing than a conventional approach. Rebellion? Going against the grain? That's more of a by-product than my motive, but being different / sticking out, adds a sweetness to the music I make. I'm not sure if I know why that is.

As much as I like to hear "Dude! That sounds great!" or similar sentence long compliments, this is not why I make music... ....anymore. ^_^

What about you guys?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
FireProphet

FireProphet

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 am

I'm really not a good musician--at all. I probably shouldn't even reply to this, but I'm sure it will make for an entertaining read Razz. What I've recorded so far I've forced to work by sheer will and not skill, haha. So, I'll say the basis has primarily been because I'd like to be involved in making the kind of music I love to listen to and spend inordinate amounts of money on. Basically, I'm a fan of grind and brutal death who also owns a couple guitars, mic, and recording software. Srs. I bought a guitar cause I was like, 'mang I have [at the time Wink] 400 CDs... it'd hardly cost me a fraction of that moneda to buy a guitar and make some'uh my own music.'

I've never taken lessons, had people teach me how to play, or practiced diligently. Essentially, I only practice when I write and record. Yep. That being the case, you could say one reason I make music is to make better music.

Fun is definitely a factor. Mystery Eternal is lots of fun for me. Eternal Doomery was a blast to record and a couple of the songs make me laugh every time I listen to them. It's also a definite show of appreciation for someone who's kept the Christian grind scene moving and active. Broc Toney doesn't just give Broc Toney to the world, he inspires and literally gets other Christian bands united to release their music, too. So, the motive there isn't just for me to have fun but to give back to someone else.

One of my other projects is definitely more serious in the 'why.' Both in purpose and inspiration. It's made it the most important one to me and is where I'm focusing all my ideas at the moment. I'm excited.

That's pretty much it. I don't think I'm artistic, or musical, but I like music and I like artistic expression enough to take a botched stab at it.
Back to top Go down
Tree Demon

Tree Demon

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 2:41 am

Because I'm bored.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/slitherspoon2
Jim

Jim

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 7:28 am

because satan told me
Back to top Go down
http://www.holynightclothing.com
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 10:43 am

Yay Fireprophet!

Meh Treedemon, Jim
Back to top Go down
ELAN

ELAN

Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Basically, back when I started, it was more or less to get a different side of me out there. Since I've always been into art, manifestation has always been important... just the feeling of having something completed and out there.

These days I have also been learning a lot about life and myself in the midst of my musical journey... it's really interesting. It's also just something I simply do now, and don't question why I do it. I couldn't really stop doing so because it is engrained in my existence.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/elanschambers
TheDarkSlayer

TheDarkSlayer

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 pm

To rep God's name and be a vessel of light for those who dwell in the utter darkness.

and much like Elan said... I can't stop, it's engrained in my existence.
Back to top Go down
Napalm Dave37

Napalm Dave37

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 12:51 pm

I was raised in a house where my dad had bands all the time, he was also a concert promoter and bouncer so i was always around it, i started making my own music (drone and ambient) in 93 and never stopped, no real reason behind it other than a true love of music and its creation
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dave80tunes
ELAN

ELAN

Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 1:53 pm

TheDarkSlayer wrote:
To rep God's name and be a vessel of light for those who dwell in the utter darkness.

and much like Elan said... I can't stop, it's engrained in my existence.
What project(s) are you in?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/elanschambers
Hguols

Hguols

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 2:06 pm

ELAN wrote:

These days I have also been learning a lot about life and myself in the midst of my musical journey... it's really interesting. It's also just something I simply do now, and don't question why I do it. I couldn't really stop doing so because it is engrained in my existence.

This. I see this quite a bit in myself now that you say that.

However, even though its something I do now, for me it's seasonal and/or based on circumstances. When I was homeless and/or in the depths of my addiction, I not only didn't make music, but didn't even THINK about making it.....

for years.

So much for it really being a part of me.
Back to top Go down
Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 pm

cause I believe its what I was created to do. I can't go a day without singing at least a prayer to God. Its part of who I am, as natural to me as breathing. The only time I feel truely conected to God is when I'm singing to Him. So since He gave this to me, I dedicate it to Him & ask Him daily to use me to reach many for His Kingdom.
Music is one of the most potent tools on the earth, it can pull on emotions in an instant, make something thats completely uncool = COOL to multitudes of people.
It can make you cry, laugh, enraged, happy, feel powerfull or pull you down into depression.
Depending on how it is used it can be a great tool for the Lord or against Him.
I believe He made me this way, to be a voice for Him in the Musical Relm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bandtheforgiven
stefan

stefan

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:56 pm

yes indeed, music is a great journey.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/opusmajestic
olias

olias

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:59 pm

Because I can. And coz everybody else=doin it wrong.
Back to top Go down
TheBeastSlayer

TheBeastSlayer

Number of posts : 2165
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 am

It helps me make sense of this hell we call life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purevolume.com/themasterofawesomeness
olias

olias

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:11 am

psh. There is no sense to be made. There is no ******* justice in life.
Back to top Go down
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

Number of posts : 2273
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:56 am

olias wrote:
psh. There is no sense to be made. There is no ******* justice in life.

yea there is. This just isn't actually life. That's why there is no justice. This is part of death. Death is a process and existance.. not just that thing we typically think of.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:29 am

where do you come up with this stuff?

Back to top Go down
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:37 am

The Bible

Jesus.. says " I am the Way , The Truth and The Life".

So he is either mentally ill, lying.. or this existence is not actually Life. I believe the later is true.
Back to top Go down
FireProphet

FireProphet

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:37 pm

The wages of sin is death, we 'live' in a world of sin. You could say this 'life' is death in an abstract manner and be correct. It's all perspective and how you define things.
Back to top Go down
The Last Firstborn

The Last Firstborn

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Making music is fun, sometimes cathartic. I'm pretty bad at it, though.
Back to top Go down
olias

olias

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Indirectly it can be inferred. However I tend to not mince words. We exist. We are "alive" in the sense of being animated in the flesh. You can call that spiritual death, but all that is to me is metaphysical poetry which means little in the here and now. I am flesh, and when I am dead, then I shall be dead. What happens after I have no control over, other than how I live my life now, which is with honor and courage. I do not fear death, because it is coming, one way or the other.
Back to top Go down
Gorlim (OMW)

Gorlim (OMW)

Number of posts : 1171
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:38 am

All the music I have ever made has been made because I have ideas and things that are literally clawing to get out. Sometimes it has been made to glorify God, sometimes it has been just for fun, sometimes it's somewhere in between.

I don't strictly make music to be "Christian" music. I feel that there are other avenues to be explored and made whole, rather than kind of forcing myself to write Christian things.

I feel that music needs to be just as much art as anything. The artistic side needs to shine through or I'm just not happy with it. Just like OMW's album "An Autumn Moon". It was more of an artistic expression.

That's what music is all about for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thepoet777
Kamerad Ash

Kamerad Ash

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Ever since I started piano lessons at 11 yrs old.. I've been hooked. I started guitar at 14 yrs old.. and starting writing songs soon after that.

Musik runs in my family. Me dad played guitar.. my mom played piano.. my grand-dad played guitar. My sole surviving grandmother is a singer ( and dancer, like me *,,* ).

My famous 2nd uncle, Rick Nielson, is the guitar player in Cheap Trick.
Back to top Go down
Ethereal Messenger

Ethereal Messenger

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 pm

I've been playing guitar for about 12 yrs now. and have always wanted to play in some sort of a band. And I got that little taste for a few months. It was fun but it didnt last. So I started making my own music. I make music because I get some ideas for a song and I think "Man, that would be pretty cool if (insert band here) did that in a song". So I just said, Well.... I could just do it myself. I sucked at it a lot. But I got better at it. And now, it's more of a release. I get frustrated at work, or I just feel real good, Or I just have this burning feeling inside me that tells me to play. And I just make it. Thats why i have my solo project "Ethereal Messenger".

But, I also have a good sense of humor. And thats why I have my OTHER (haha) solo project called "The Patient Died Suddenly". And thats where I just scream about nonsense. And I enjoy that too sometimes. I enjoy it a lot. Just singing about me getting hungry or getting yelled at by some lady in the mall and having dreams of banshees killing me is fun.

It's almost like a diary. I don't know. haha..... thats me though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/etherealmessenger
Bishop

Bishop

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:44 pm

I just get so much inpsiration from different things that I always find myself starting to put a song together in my head so I go into my studio and just record my ideas. I build riff catalogs of my guitar and bass bits and then pull them together for song ideas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ksetlive.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do you make music?   Why do you make music? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Why do you make music?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: Music Discussion :: Musicians Lair-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com