BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

How Can I Learn To Play Metal Style Guitar?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2009-11-16

How Can I Learn To Play Metal Style Guitar? Vide
PostSubject: How Can I Learn To Play Metal Style Guitar?   How Can I Learn To Play Metal Style Guitar? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:07 pm

I recently got this question from "Mike"... I thought it might be something that would interest others here... enjoy!

MIKE'S QUESTION: "I've been playing guitar for around 3 years but i play mostly acoustic right now and even when i play electric it's more acoustic type songs. Now i want to start playing metalcore and heavy stuff like that but i'm not really sure where to start. I've searched some online and messed around a bit but i can't really seem to get far with it. So.. i was wondering if there's someone who could explain the different stuff and give some pretty in depth instructions if that's possible. Or if you have any really good links that help with that kind of stuff that would be cool too. Thanks."

MY ANSWER: Hey Mike. I think I can help you out bro. Sounds like you already know some things about playing guitar—and now you’ve just been bitten with the “metal bug”. That’s a great bug to be bitten by! I’ve been a student of metal style guitar since 1980. I love playing and teaching metal style guitar! There’s just nothing like an overdriven amp cranked up to 11, pumping out thrashing rhythms and blistering melodic leads!

Okay, enough editorializing. To answer your question, you nailed it when you said, “I've searched some online and messed around a bit but i can't really seem to get far with it.” That’s because guitar playing (all styles, metal included) is an art form best learned when it’s handed down from one person ( a master or teacher) to another (the student or apprentice). Free online lessons are cool, and like you said you can learn some really cool “bits and pieces” from those types of lessons. However, if you are serious about becoming an accomplished metal style guitarist you need a teacher, someone who’s been there, done that, mastered this style and knows how to guide you down the path of mastering it for yourself.

I have two suggestions for you: 1) Look on line for “rock or metal style guitar lessons in YOUR TOWN” and see what comes up. 2) I specialize in distance learning guitar lessons. I have developed a system that allows me to instruct and mentor students very effectively. Feel free to stop by my site, www.guitarjams.net and see if this would be a good fit for you.

Classic Metal Music
Guitar Lessons
Music Mastering
Spiritual Encouragement
Back to top Go down
http://www.guitarjams.net
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

How Can I Learn To Play Metal Style Guitar? Vide
PostSubject: Re: How Can I Learn To Play Metal Style Guitar?   How Can I Learn To Play Metal Style Guitar? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:13 pm

For me, the biggest difference has to do with the fingers.

Arched fingers on the fretboard for acoustic / chords / lower neck riffs and solos.
Flat fingers on the upper neck fretboard give the best control for single notes and overall "chunk". This might seem really weird for someone used to arch fingers, but I think knowing this will make the transition a little less awkward.

Depends on the type of metal he's really going for.

If he's going for a more melodic sound, he probably won't have to change much at all.
Let some string masher handle the chunk. ^_^

Informative site Brad!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com

How Can I Learn To Play Metal Style Guitar?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: Band Forums :: Pastor Brad-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com