BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

What can I do to improve my guitar playing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pastorbrad

pastorbrad

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2009-11-16

What can I do to improve my guitar playing? Vide
PostSubject: What can I do to improve my guitar playing?   What can I do to improve my guitar playing? Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Dude, we all want to get better---right? Well, knowledge is power. I.e. knowing WHAT to practice is 50% of thebattle. The other 50% is exercising the discipline to actually practice it! Okay, in this article I’m going to share some pointers that will help you a) become a more proficient at picking, and b) become a better “practicer” (I know that’s not a ral word---but you get the point).

THREE THINGS YOU CAN DO TO IMPROVE YOUR GUITAR PLAYING

1) Take a little time and research these picking/playing styles: legato picking, alternate picking,
and economy picking. These three styles are the most popular and each will add a new dimension to your playing. As you research these out on the web you'll discover a lot of exercises you can do that will help you master each technique.

2) Get a metronome. You can download free metronomes all over the web -- just do a search for "free metronome". Or you can purchase a nice one at your local music store for $15-$20. Using a metronome will help you improve your playing speed. And it will also force you to play "in time" -- and essential skill for any musician.

3) Apply the "Pareto principle" (also known as the 80/20 rule) to your practices. This is an incredible principle. You can look it up on the web to learn more--but, here's how it applies to your guitar playing: You should spend 80% of your practice time working on areas you desire to improve in and 20% jamming on the things you can already do well. This kind of discipline will vastly increase the effectiveness of your practice time! Even if you only have 20 minutes on some days--if you concentrate on the things you want to improve on for 80% of your time you will experience positive results much faster.

Hope that helps---happy practicing!

Metal Blessings!
Pastor Brad
www.guitarjams.net
Back to top Go down
http://www.guitarjams.net

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: Band Forums :: Pastor Brad-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com