BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Anyone here work out or exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14
AuthorMessage
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Bugger me. I imagine you would know what the asterisks are, so I guess you'll just have to type it in.
Back to top Go down
Hguols

Hguols

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Man, I haven't posted here in a minute.

I fluctuate on my lifts as of late for several reasons. For the first time in 2 years, I come up with two illnesses.... one food poisoning which landed me in ER, the other a chest cold.

Both left me zapped of energy (the first more than the latter) but I lifted anyway. My weakest bench was getting 7 and not being able to finish a set of 10 with help. (of 295lbs)

Another reason is that I'd been swapping out the 295lbs set with 315lbs. That was fine and dandy for a few weeks, but now my muscles are begging for reprieve.

Last but not least, time of day. I work 12 hour + shifts Monday - Thursday. I lift when I get off work, which is 8:30-8:45pm.... and my prime strength of the day was much earlier.

Still, I'll keep at it.

I've been very tempted to bump it down, but that doesn't make progress. (How is 295lbs supposed to get easier if I start pushing 275lbs?) I just bite the bullet (my pride) and stick with it.

....and alternate 315lbs every other workout rather than boycott it all together.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hguols.com
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Tallerthanatree wrote:
I couldnt tell you, but I'll probably up my caloric intake a bit to around 3000 or so when I start back on C&P.

And toning is a myth: http://www.chaosandpain.com/content/you-want-get-toned-how-about-you-just-go-and-get-******

WARNING: ANGRY RANT TO FOLLOW, BREAK...

OK, first off, tallerthanatree, this is NOT pointed at you.

Now, f*ck this guy. F*ck him and everyone he knows. THIS douchebag is the reason a lot of people don't go to the gym. Let me tell you a true story that happened just a few days ago. So, I'm at the gym, like I am every day, and instead of my usual machine-based workout, I decide I'm gonna try the free-weights, and try some new excersises. So I walk over to the rack, and there is this poster above it with all these different excersises you can do to work different parts of your body that I have never tried. Now while this is happening two of THOSE guys walk in. You know the type. The 300 lbs walking steriod, wearing a tank top and short shorts SO tight that they could only have been designed for two reasons, midevial torture and showing of your junk. These are the guys I think that stefan was complaining about, and I agree with him on this one. These guys come in and immediately make the case for contraception. When they lift, they get loud. And I don't mean the usual grunts, heavy exhalations, and other normal sounds of exertion. No, THESE behemoths love to make the following proclamations:
'UHH!!! AW, YEAH!! GET SOME!!! HAAAAAA!! WOOOOO!!!!! YEAH, BOY!!!!!!! UUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! THAT'S RIGHT, BABY!!! RRRRAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

And this is on EVERY. SINGLE. FRAKKIN. REP. When they benched, the one guy spotted the other not in the normal way, but in such a way that the one dudes crotch is RIGHT in the other dudes face. And all the while, still talking in that same meathead language that I'm convinced is some kind of foreplay.
"YEAH BROTHER! YOUR DELTS ARE LOOKING TIGHT! PUSH HARD!! LOOK AT THOSE BULGING PECS!! DON'T GIVE UP!!! YA LOOK LIKE A BEAST!!!"

Anywho, while the lovebirds are doing...whatever it is they're doing, I'm trying out new excersises and weights, just kind of experimenting. Every now and then, I hear a snicker, chorttle, or "Hur hur hur" from their direction, because apparently, I'm so weak because I don't immediately know what I'm doing. I'm about to say something, tell them to mind their damn buisiness, when I turn around and read their shirts, learning that they are E-7's, and I'm just an E-6. For those that don't speak military, it means I can't say sh*t but, "Roger", and move on.

Those guys, and the guy who wrote that article seriously tick me off. Look here, High Speed, I'm in shape. I scored a 297 out of 300 on my PT test. I'm in better shape than most Americans, hell most people in general. I just have very little experience in gym workouts, becuase I've mainly been doing grass drills and other outside PT my whole career. Now that I'm not doing unit PT anymore, I've wandered into the gym, and am trying to "tone." I KNOW that you can't change the shape of your muscles. As I said, by "tone", I mean lose the LITTLE bit of body fat around my midsection that is covering up my muscles, thereby making me LOOK as in shape as I am. As I have said before, I have no interest in getting "big." I don't WANT to look like hguols or tallerthanatree, or any other human tank. It's not that I'm, "too lazy to put in the effort", I simply don't want to look like that. Now, I admit that there ae a lot of people who don't go to the gym out of pure laziness, but this guys need to recognize that a lot of people( like myself) are VERY self concious, and lack the experience. And guys like him and the lovebirds make the gym a very intimidating place. While that's not THAT big a deal, that little feeling of insecurity is enough to put someone off from joining a gym. I know I'm not talking abut ANYONE here, but I get the feeling that a lot of people WANT it that way. They think of the gym as some elite club, and that only Olympians should be allowed in. Again, I know this sounds absurd to you who have been in a gym for a while, but speaking as a guy who has serious issues with self-esteem and insecurities, it's VERY offputting.

This concludes our angry rant for the day. Tune in next week, and be sure to drink your Ovaltine.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 pm

haha, I'm hardly a human tank (190, looking to get down to 180). I understand and agree with the sentiments, but having been reading reading Jamie's blog for quite a while, the whole "chest bump, nice delts bro, etc." is not what the site is about.

And you wont get huge unless you eat to do so. You dont have to do singles every day, but I'd say for your goals you're much better off doing a barbell based program. I'd say do Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:43 pm

And as far as diet goes, just cut out grains and starches (corn, potatoes) and you'll see a big difference.
Back to top Go down
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks for the advice, bro! I'm gonna try that 5x5 routine today after work, with some push-ups and a good run. And again, sorry about ranting. I used to be REAL skinny, and I guess I still have kind of a complex. I hate it when big guys get all smug.

Now, as for grains, like ALL grains? Because I usually eat at Subway everyday, having a 6" turkey on wheat with some veggies. I no can haz sammich?
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 am

Since it seems like you dont have much to lose, I guess that would be alright (post workout, if possible would be ideal), but try keeping them to a minimum.

And up the protein wherever you can, of course.
Back to top Go down
SSG Jake

SSG Jake

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:45 am

Rock on. Yeah, since like you dsaid, I don't have THAT much to lose, I'm more watching calories. I'm hitting around 2300 a day, and running every day, lifting every other. I also drink Muscle Milk "Lean Muscle Formula"like twice a day for extra protien. Gonna start eating more meat and cheese for breakfast instead of cereal. Problem is I can't cook to save my life, and cereal is so easy. LOL
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:37 pm

As far as breakfast foods go, eggs are easy.

I've started cooking stir-fry stuff at home, since thats mostly what I eat here.
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 pm

And as a surprise, turns out I'm actually 185.

But yeah, I dont have any interest in getting huge, just lean as hell, and really damn strong. Olympic weightlifters physiques are my ideal:

Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Ivan-stoitsov
Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Liao+hui+shirtless+2
Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Vencelas-dabaya-jo2008
Back to top Go down
Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:32 pm

So I just said "Screw it" and started C&P today, and actually surprised myself.

Squat - 320
Press - 170
Deadlift - 340 (Might have had 350 in me, but I was pretty gassed at this point.)

That squat was just 10 pounds under my all-time best, press was a tie with my old PR, and that deadlift was the most I've ever done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here work out or exercise?   Anyone here work out or exercise? - Page 14 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Anyone here work out or exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: General Chit Chat-
Create a forum on Forumotion | Music | Rock, Punk, Alternative | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com