BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

How did you guys get saved?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kan-o-sushi

Kan-o-sushi

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2008-11-02

How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Vide
PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:39 am

I do not know exactly when God saved me. I did the whole "accepting Christ" thing at some conference when I was about 13, but I do not think that is where my life as a Christian began. I have only recently grasped the concept of what belief in Christ and repentance really is... I would say somewhere within the last year I have only understood what the Gospel really is and now I do believe I am truly a Christian. I dare say anything up to that point where I thought I was a Christian, I was mistaken. Either way, it is difficult for me to say where/when/etc. God saved me... I believe that for me it has been a gradual process, and somewhere along the lines God instilled in me a faith in Christ.

About a two months ago I went through a struggle with sin, which only ended a couple weeks ago. It seriously damaged my relationship with God and it's still having some effects after turning from it. Being that far from God... I felt very dead. I hate that feeling. I need to be close to Him but I'm having difficulty getting back there. I'd appreciate some prayer, thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/eclipsingblack
bee_rad

bee_rad

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:54 am

^^ To be saved, you don't have to have a comprehensive theological grasp of everything faith-related. I'm sure if you truly meant it when you chose to accept Christ at 13, God transformed your soul then and there.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Rotout

Mr. Rotout

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:56 am

I feel that I have never had an "excepting Christ lifechanging experiance" before. It seems like when I was really little, I was told about God. Ever since then, I have been praying to Him. There was a time when I was with my friend at a revial, my first. The preacher told everyone to bow their heads and raise their hands for need of acceptance and rebirth after his speech. In tears, I raised my hand. I figured that everyone there would have their hands raised after a dramatic speech like that. But unfortunatly, I was just one of few. After that, the preacher asked everyone with their hands raised to come forward. I was so nervous that I stayed where I was at. I was approached later by the preacher and a boy who prayed over me. There wasn't a dynamic change or anything. But thats just me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/engarniainc
eternalmystery

eternalmystery

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:56 am

Necromanicide wrote:
First a big "OOPS" on my part... I actually thought it was ata who first responded, and I worded parts of my responses as if I was responding to him.

eternalmystery wrote:
But here is where I'm confused - In other words, do you believe we are saved by Christ alone apart from any works of our own, or do you believe that we must add our works to the cross and work in cooperation with God to finish what God apparently did not complete (since this is the logical conclusion of this position on salvation)?

Short answer: Yes to the first part.

But... I still see Salvation as a life long process (Many Anglicans use the metaphor of a long journey), otherwise you are denying there is room for further spiritual growth and maturity.
The things we do aren't what gives Salvation, but are part of the growth and maturity of us as Christians.

One person may regard Salvation as "responding to an Altar call" at some church event... Is that any different to me "responding to the call to be Confirmed when I was old enough to make for myself the promises made on my behalf at my baptism"?
Another person may regard Salvation as "Realising they are a sinner and need God's forgiveness"... Is that any different to me "Realising I am a sinner and asking for God's forgiveness" each week at church?
Yet another person may regard their Salvation as being "The day I accepted Christ into my life"... Is that any different to me at the Eucharist, performing a physical act with the spiritual significance of "Out with self... In with Christ"?
And the list can go on... Hopefully this gives an idea as to why I see it as a process / journey of many events and experiences throughout life, no one single moment in time results in perfection here in this life. There is another saying often used by Anglicans.
"I am saved (By the events of 2000 Years ago)... I am being saved (The process in this life)... I will be saved (At the final judgement)"

There is a prayer attributed to an African-American slave woman which sums up the whole thing very nicely:
Quote :

Lord, I know that I’m not all that I ought to be;
And I know that I am not yet all that I’m going to be;
But, Lord, I sure thank you that I’m not what I used to be.

eternalmystery wrote:
However, I know that you are an Anglican, and not Catholic. So anyway, if you could post the Anglican position on this so I could learn a little bit, that would be great and would help me out a lot because I don't want to be guilty of misrepresenting someone's beliefs. Smile

Largely speaking, because of the structure of the Anglican Church, you won't find an all-encompassing "Anglican position" on a lot of things. The closest you will find will be "The Articles of Religion" AKA "The 39 Articles" which were "Agreed upon by the Archbishops, Bishops, and the whole clergy of the Provinces of Canterbury, and York, London, 1562". The Articles spell out what could be regarded as the Anglican position on the core beliefs of the faith (And a bit of political stuff at the end). And, you are in luck, this area is covered by them.

Quote :

Article XI: Of the Justification of Man.
We are accounted righteous before God, only for the merit of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ by Faith, and not for our own works or deservings: ... "

Article XII: Of Good Works.
Albeit that Good Works, which are the fruits of Faith, and follow after Justification, cannot put away our sins, and endure the severity of God's Judgement; yet they are pleasing and acceptable to God in Christ, and do spring from out necessarily of a true and lively faith; insomuch that by them a lively Faith may be as evidently known as a tree discerned by the fruit.

Article XI is a bit longer, but not relevant here.

Article XII paraphrased: God likes it when we do good things, but Good Works can not atone for sins ("save"). Good Works are done because of our Justification, not to gain it.

Article XIII is somewhat related, and basically says that Works done before Justification come from the nature of man, not from faith in Christ, and cannot make men worthy to receive Grace.

- Necromanicide

Ah ok. Thanks for explaining. It is much appreciated.

I see it in a similar way. Kinda like this: I am saved (because of Christ's atonement), I am being saved (sanctification), I will be saved (final judgment/glorification).
Back to top Go down
http://www.eternalmystery.co.nr
eternalmystery

eternalmystery

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:59 am

Mr. Rotout wrote:
I feel that I have never had an "excepting Christ lifechanging experiance" before. It seems like when I was really little, I was told about God. Ever since then, I have been praying to Him. There was a time when I was with my friend at a revial, my first. The preacher told everyone to bow their heads and raise their hands for need of acceptance and rebirth after his speech. In tears, I raised my hand. I figured that everyone there would have their hands raised after a dramatic speech like that. But unfortunatly, I was just one of few. After that, the preacher asked everyone with their hands raised to come forward. I was so nervous that I stayed where I was at. I was approached later by the preacher and a boy who prayed over me. There wasn't a dynamic change or anything. But thats just me!

I bolded that last part because it disturbs me. Are you actually saying that the same Christ who totally transformed (and is still transforming) me is the same one who didn't change your life at all? I'm not saying that you are a bad person or anything. Though we all, saved people included, have areas in our life that we can't fix alone. You know, those areas in our life that only God can fix.
Back to top Go down
sword of the heretic

sword of the heretic

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:05 am

I had been baptized at the age of 12, but to be honest, I did that more for attention than anything else. I really committed myself to Christ when I was 17, fell away years later, and finally came back to the faith.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sword_of_the_heretic
Kan-o-sushi

Kan-o-sushi

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:03 am

bee_rad wrote:
^^ To be saved, you don't have to have a comprehensive theological grasp of everything faith-related. I'm sure if you truly meant it when you chose to accept Christ at 13, God transformed your soul then and there.

Lol, I know that Razz It's just, looking back on myself, I'm not sure how real my faith was until I actually understood what it was to have faith in Him. But... I think you may be right about God transforming me then and there, I'm just not sure exactly - it's hard for me to judge my spiritual standing in the past... memories about myself tend to get fuzzy if they are older than a year or two.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/eclipsingblack
Mr. Rotout

Mr. Rotout

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:56 am

eternalmystery wrote:
Mr. Rotout wrote:

I bolded that last part because it disturbs me. Are you actually saying that the same Christ who totally transformed (and is still transforming) me is the same one who didn't change your life at all? I'm not saying that you are a bad person or anything. Though we all, saved people included, have areas in our life that we can't fix alone. You know, those areas in our life that only God can fix.

GOD HAS BEEN CHANGING MY LIFE DAY BY DAY. He has blessed me with an AMAZING woman 4 yrs ago, who is now my fiancé, our love grows together as a Christian couple everyday. I was saying that I didn't experiance a dynamic change after the revival. I felt passion and sorrow because of the preacher's words. My life wasn't dramatically changed, because I was saved before the revival service. I do not believe that EVERYONE will experiance the SAME feeling. And I DO have A LOT of areas in my life that need His assistance. God convicts my heart on a daily basis, for example: when I see The Passion, I cry. We all have our own relationship with Christ, He convicts our hearts by His choosing.
Back to top Go down
Exquisite Corpse

Exquisite Corpse

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:04 am

Kamerad Ash wrote:
And this will probably sound crazy, but literally.. I beheld the holy spirit descend upon me, through both physical and yet spiritual eyes.. and it was very much so "the dove" described of in Scriptures.

That's what it was like for me as well. It was amazing. A warmth unlike anything else that permeated the void in me, and golden light behind my eyes. I noticed an immediate change in my character; and it was involuntary. It was, to me, utter proof of God. If everyone in the world who isn't saved, had been in my body and in me at the time, they would have seen Him. That's how it feels at least.

But yeah, when I became saved, it was instantaneous for me; it was an epiphany, a realization of the meaning of Jesus' death and resurrection, my need for Him, that Jesus was the only way to be with God, and I accepted Him as my Lord an Savior. The Holy Spirit just opened my eyes, it was amazing. Like, I didn't get it before. I didn't see it before. Then I really thought about it and reached out to God and, boom, the epiphany just opened in my mind. I think that was God giving me the understanding; convicting me. It was awesome. This had happened when I was at a children's Christian camp in Belgium. I was in 2nd grade. I was by myself at the time, but had heard the gospel earlier that day, and that really got me into thinking about it. Also, before I went to the camp, I had stolen something and my dad told me about sin and how it keeps us from God and about asking for His forgiveness and repentance. I prayed for forgiveness, and suddenly felt the urgency of how important it was to be reconciled with God. Then I went to that camp, and then became saved. Smile

Of course, growing in the Lord has been a long and tough process, as it is usually. I sort of fell out of my walk with the Lord, and became lukewarm, for years. Then, I repented again and for the last two years have been growing more. So yeah, being more and more conformed to His image is a process. At least I'm back on the right track *relief* Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.love146.com
Vigilance Saints Arise

Vigilance Saints Arise

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:12 am

Greg Edwards,

Infant baptism. I remeber moving around in the seats, sort of playing in Church.
When older, I had first Catholic confession. Photos of my first Holy communion
help me remember.
I see in my mind's eye, many kids, boys in suits, little girls in white wedding
dresses, as they get married to Christ.

I had my confirmation Nov. 22, 1987. The same time when Pope John Paul 2,
visited Detriot. I was watching him on television, in a crowded church
Basillica and a Miracle happend: I was in the right moment to see the Holy Father
shake hands and bless my Spiritual Director, Father Bresnahan.

I visited 4 Monestarys seeking admitance. I'm a Franciscan of the 3rd order
for the common people. I prefer going to Mass every day.
I've sung in Church all of my life like most Christians. I do Gregorian Chant
and a more Intense delivery. I'm now a Monk and Music Minister.
Being 47, I witnessed the begining of Christian Rock N' Roll and Heavy Metal.
I went to the Cornerstone Festival in 1989, and arived to witness
Vengeance Rising, White Cross, And the Bloodgood band.
Now i'm a Singer Songwriter. And my computer lets me witness hundreds
of Bands. Vigilance Saints Arise is the name of my one man band.
Some would call me a Solo Artist - Looking for band members.
I'm one of the Heavyest Organ Keyboard Players around.
I have memorized and Sing 27 songs. I write Text Works when inspired.
In fact I have a lot of writings and I make copies to send out.
For now, God Bless you in Christ.

Thank God ahead of time.
God knows what you need before you ask.
Knights of Columbus
Back to top Go down
eternalmystery

eternalmystery

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:13 am

Mr. Rotout wrote:
eternalmystery wrote:
Mr. Rotout wrote:

GOD HAS BEEN CHANGING MY LIFE DAY BY DAY. He has blessed me with an AMAZING woman 4 yrs ago, who is now my fiancé, our love grows together as a Christian couple everyday. I was saying that I didn't experiance a dynamic change after the revival. I felt passion and sorrow because of the preacher's words. My life wasn't dramatically changed, because I was saved before the revival service. I do not believe that EVERYONE will experiance the SAME feeling. And I DO have A LOT of areas in my life that need His assistance. God convicts my heart on a daily basis, for example: when I see The Passion, I cry. We all have our own relationship with Christ, He convicts our hearts by His choosing.

Oh ok, sorry. I thought you meant that nothing changed ever, and that you stayed the same. I see now. I don't believe that everyone has a 180 degree turn around on the day they get saved. I didn't. The change was gradual and over time for me.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Rotout

Mr. Rotout

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:42 pm

eternalmystery wrote:
Mr. Rotout wrote:
eternalmystery wrote:
Mr. Rotout wrote:

Oh ok, sorry. I thought you meant that nothing changed ever, and that you stayed the same. I see now. I don't believe that everyone has a 180 degree turn around on the day they get saved. I didn't. The change was gradual and over time for me.

I am sorry for the confusion! Haha! Yeah man, because I just got baptized like a little over a year ago. I was suffering from major anxiety. All that was on my mind was death. All I thought about was dying. I would face those nights when I would wake up in a panic about dying. I was scared. All I knew was fear. But I believe Jesus spoke to me. I had a feeling that He wanted me to reclaim my faith, and stand up in front of a huge group of people and get baptized. Because that was something I was affraid to do. So, me and my fiancé went and talked to the preacher about and I got baptized shortly after. Now, there wasn't a huge change after that. A great feeling for sure. But now, my fears have been erased. I don't suffer from that anxiety anymore. Sure, I have my moments here and there. But trust me man, it wasn't as bad as it used to be, for sure!

BTW, when did you get baptized and what was yours like? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
mutehero7

mutehero7

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-11-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:43 am

I supposedly accepted Christ at a very young age when my parents prayed with me (after they had offered and let me decide, naturally). I think I was too young at the time, though, to really grasp the meaning of it all. I, like many other people, lack that specific point in time when my whole life was changed upside down and for the better. Rather, I've simply grown up in a Christian home and have relied on God to keep me on the straight and narrow. I survived high school, lol, and have been through my fair share of spiritual highs and lows, but I can't say I've ever suffered a time of really falling away from God, thankfully. I've always wished I had some sort of lightning and thunder experience I could share with unbelievers, but instead I have this rather boring story of just sticking with my faith and continuing to grow in the Lord.
Back to top Go down
HellxBovine

HellxBovine

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:21 pm

A boring story of "sticking to your faith" shows how mature you became when you accepted the Spirit of God into your life, that Jesus to you truly is "The Rock". That's what I think, anyway.

I didn't think about Christianity in a serious light until around 8th grade, when my family started going to a small church called Lord of Life Ministries. This church doesn't exist anymore, since the leadership of the church got caught up in fleshly cares and dropped altogether at some point later, but I learned a lot about Christianity then, and kept a Bible at my side literally everywhere I went.

The next stage for me was going to Countryside Christian Center, or really just the Set Apart youth group, since my brother's girlfriend (now his wife) introduced it to us and we only went to the Wednesday night youth service and not the Sunday services. My faith was there, but it was growing stagnant, since there was hardly any encouragement in that youth group, the truth was hardly being preached, and there were a lot of "cliques" going on. Eventually we just stopped going.

When I was in 10th grade, in my history class, I met a guy named Ricky who sat next to me. He introduced me to a church lock in at the Pentecostals of Clearwater, and really encouraged me to go and meet the youth there. I went, and I had a good time. Took me a little while to understand what the Pentecostal church is really about, but when I found out I was hooked. I went to that church until July '08 before I joined the Marine Corps and I go there every time I'm at home.

Then I joined the Marines. Going through boot camp, MCT, and then A school in Pensacola was starting to put wear and tear on my mind and my faith. I ended up not going to church at all in Pensacola, and I was seriously depressed the entire time I was there. Then my C school came, the military took me to NAS Jacksonville, FL, and I had to stay there for a weekend before being transported to NS Mayport, FL where my classes were. While walking around the barracks, I met a guy named Charles (AWO3 Son) and he invited me to a "Rock Concert", cleverly leaving out the part that it's a Christian "rock concert", but I was fine with it. I went, and it was lame. They even talked about how lame it was in the Sunday service. Oh yeah, I went to the Sunday service too. That was awesome. They were the most encouraging Christians I ever met. I helped them with outreach and church functions almost every day after my classes. Sadly, I only stayed there for a month, and now I'm here in MCAS Beaufort.

The church I'm going to here is a Community Bible church. It's really big, like, REALLY BIG. I'm not even kidding. Besides that, there are a lot of cool people there, but I don't attend as much as I should.

Anyway, the point is that my walk as a Christian has taken me to quite a few places, but I never did anything crazy with it. For a while I was an "Apostolic Pentecostal," but not I feel that I want to know more about it, but I have way more questions than I have answers, and it's really getting frustrating. Now I'm sort of in the balance. It's a dangerous spot to be in, and I feel that I need to get back into my faith as soon as I possibly can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lancelot1510
Mr. Rotout

Mr. Rotout

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:50 pm

Now I'm sort of in the balance. It's a dangerous spot to be in, and I feel that I need to get back into my faith as soon as I possibly can.[/quote]

I feel you man. I have been in that same boat with you here lately. It just takes effort, and sadly, I am not willing to give it sometimes. It's our daily battle as Christians.
Back to top Go down
Not2BPerished

Not2BPerished

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Well I Got saved because I felt lost in this world... and I started to see demons and other such evil things and im like screw this, Jesus I need you... and he picked me right back up, and this is where I am today... as of right now im 15 going on 16 and I am truly into God, and will never leave him because of all the great things he's done for me.... I strongly encourage all to get saved because it is the best feeling you will ever expeience... You WILL feel SAFE and SECURE with your eternal father... Look to the sky to find your heart!

*BTW* I am new to these forms, but I love all kinds of Metal, Mostly christian "Core" things, but I love breakdowns Smile Yes this is me... I hope to put up a pic of me getting baptized soon Smile)How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Kewlky12
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazywhiteboywithaguitar
Mr. Rotout

Mr. Rotout

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Goofy wrote:
Well I Got saved because I felt lost in this world... and I started to see demons and other such evil things and im like screw this, Jesus I need you... and he picked me right back up, and this is where I am today... as of right now im 15 going on 16 and I am truly into God, and will never leave him because of all the great things he's done for me.... I strongly encourage all to get saved because it is the best feeling you will ever expeience... You WILL feel SAFE and SECURE with your eternal father... Look to the sky to find your heart!

*BTW* I am new to these forms, but I love all kinds of Metal, Mostly christian "Core" things, but I love breakdowns Smile Yes this is me... I hope to put up a pic of me getting baptized soon Smile)How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Kewlky12

Welcome man!!!
Back to top Go down
Not2BPerished

Not2BPerished

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey Thanx Rotout bro... I really appreciate it when ppl on fourms make me feel at home :^)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazywhiteboywithaguitar
Devon Hill

Devon Hill

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-12-21

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:38 am

Here's some of my story that I wrote awhile back that I'll just copy and paste in.

Growing up I wasn't sure what to think about God. Basically I had agnostic/atheistic beliefs. I remember hearing things while growing up such as "it's ok to be around Christians....it's just the born again Christians that you should be cautious about". It's funny now because I realize that Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingodm of God unless he is born again" (John 3:3), so in reality, you can't even be a Christian if you're not born again. Some people might be Christian in name only, or they might not understand what it means to be born again (but they're still born again), but in reality, somebody is not a Christian if they're not born again....but that's just a side thing....

When I was in grade ten, my Mom started to go back to the church that she attended when she was younger. I remember having many arguments/discussions with her about things like evolution at that point. I was a strong believer in evolution. But it was through these discussions that I started to think that maybe evolution might not be true. It was hard because I was taught it in school like it was fact, but that is when I started to think that maybe creation was possibly true. But I still wasn't able to accept it as the truth.

I was always opposed to blatant satanic things. I remember there would be certain songs on CDs that I would choose not to listen to because I didn't like the satanic message. Eventually however, as I got older I stopped caring about this, and listened to whatever I wanted with no problems.

in 2001, I was living in Calgary, Alberta for a work term for school. It was at this time that September 11 happened. I had a friend (Kristen) who was a Christian, and she talked to me about Christianity for many many hours. But September 11 sparked the conversations. I remember we stayed up until 4:00 in the morning a couple nights after Septemeber 11 talking about it and what the Bible said about end times etc.

Looking back on it, I am very glad that God brought somebody in my life that would take the time to talk to me so much about it, because I was very much opposed to lots of the Christian beliefs. God knew I needed a lot of discussion about it, and He faithfully provided it. It took me a long time for me to realize the fact that, yeah maybe I was wrong. I remember going to church a couple times during this period when Kristen invited me, and also this was the very first time I ever remember praying.

I had huge issues towards Christianity. One of thse was about other religions. I thought it was extremely ignorant for Christians to say that their way is the way to God. But also at the same time, I was ignorant about it. I had no idea what I was talking about because I'd never really looked into it too much. Kristen would always talk to me about the Bible verse, "You will seek me (God) and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13). I thought it was false however because in my mind I thought "how would you ever know what the truth is? Everybody claims to know it. It's impossible to know." Even though I didn't know it at the time, God was working in me however and softening my hard heart towards Him.

Kristen had told a whole bunch of her Christian friends about me, and they were all praying for me. I didn't know they were praying for me, but looking back on it, I know that was a huge thing that helped me to actually turn to God and receive Him into my life.

Also looking back on it, I could tell there was a spiritual battle going on in my life. Sometimes I would want to believe and seek out God more, but other times I would be completely hardened towards it and reject it. But in the end, God prevailed and helped me to see what His truth is. I remember saying to Kristen one day something like, "I know I argue a lot with you, but I really do respect your beliefs. I respect that you hold on to them so strongly. And in reality, I do think that you're right and I'm wrong on a lot of things....I'm just not ready to be like you right now. I'm not ready to turn to God. But I think that I am taking at least baby steps in the right direction".

During this time, I remember saying that "yes I believe in Jesus" and "yes I believe He died on the cross so that we could be forgiven of our sin", but it was all a head knowledge. I never truly received it personally for my own life. It needed to be a heart knowledge, but it wasn't yet. I needed to accept the gift of salvation and make Jesus the Lord of my life and follow Him.

I remember a couple months after that, I started to read the Bible. I would talk to people about it and ask them questions. Then finally one week, Kristen and I were having lots of spiritual conversations. It was at this time that I was finally able to turn to Jesus and invite Him into my life. It wasn't like I got this huge revelation or anything, I just realized that what was being said was right and that I need to turn to God and receive Him into my life. So I did.

I remember feeling different after this happened. It's hard to try to explain, but it was at this time that I could truly deep-down feel the emotion of love. I truly started to love people regardless of whether I knew them or not. I never truly felt this before, but it was amazing and awesome! For example, before yes I would say "I love my family" etc., but after becoming a Christian, I was able to feel love within my heart for others in a very powerful and tangible way. And later on I found out this makes sense because the Bible says that "God is love". This type of experience doesn't happen to everybody who becomes a Christian, but I've definitely heard stories of the same thing happening to other people.

I also remember physically feeling the presence of God in and around me as well (and I still do). Many Christians feel the same thing. It was not something that I made up because I "wanted to experience God". I didn't even know that this type of thing happened to some people, so I definitely wasn't try to seek it out to justify my faith and help me to believe. It just happened. I knew something had changed within me, and I knew that God had come into my life in a powerful way.

I remember when I was a new Christian that there would definitely be times where I would be doubting why I'm a Christian etc. It's not like I was super strong in my faith. There were lots of struggles there. I know now that it was just the devil trying to make me doubt God and turn away from Him again because he hated the fact that I turned my life over to Jesus. But God brought many Christians into my life that would help me and teach me and encourage me. It was a process, and I am so glad that that happened. I needed that type of teaching and help and without it, I might not have grown with God as much as I would have liked to.

Since that time, my faith has been strengthened through various things and experiences, and I love serving God. He truly is my everything, and I desire to live for Him and not for myself. I give Him praise and thanks for everything that He has done for me, and I know that He will always be there for me no matter what happens.
Back to top Go down
mazzie

mazzie

Number of posts : 5090

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:20 pm

That's awesome story Devon Smile Welcome to the board!
Back to top Go down
http://mazziereviewmusic.blogspot.com
wiremu.white

wiremu.white

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 pm

MetLHed4GZus wrote:
How did you guys get saved? Who shared the gosple with you? where were you? What was going through your mind? etc.

Mine isnt that amzing but ill share it anyway. Basically I grew up in a Christian home. I was 5 years old in kids church. The preacher had an altar call and I responded. And I was sincere and it stuck easily.

But I do have a tesatimony, my testimony is that I have stayed strong in my faith this long Smile. It doersnt matter that I was saved at such a young age.

I'm still in the process of being saved. But if you specifically mean how was I born-again, well:

• Predestination
  • Election
  • Calling
  • Regeneration
  • Faith
  • Repentance
  • Justification
  • Sanctification
  • Perseverance
  • Glorification

First, I was chosen by God from all eternity to be a Christian.

Then, I was born into a state of original sin (I didnt know that at the time)

I started having some questions trying to form a worldview when I was about 6 or 7. I read some of the Bible, and learned about sin and the lake of fire. I thought there was something inherently wrong with me and was worried. My parents told me about asking Jesus into my heart, but I didnt really get what this was about. I assumed so long as I stayed away from certain sins, I would go to heaven.

Fast forward a few years, I started committing those certain sins. Still trying to be good enough for heaven, but it wasnt working out.

Somewhere later I learned about original sin and that we need to be born-again, that salvation wasnt by willpower but by God's grace through Christ, who died for sin. I heard the gospel like this a few years ago. I had thought Christ simply died as an example to motivate you to be good, but not to actually pay for your sin. I'd say I was born-again sometime after learning about this. I read Romans 7 as an account of an unregenerate person, rather than a regenerate. If you read Romans 7 as an account of a regenerate person, I would perhaps say I was born again at around age 6 or 7.

I started trusting in Christ for my salvation, rather than my willpower, in my early 20s. I had already been trying to stop sinning, so I'm not sure if I started genuinely repenting or whatever, but I started having an interest in theology. I am repenting of trusting in works or trying to build up a credit to get me through on judgment day, as I used to do.

At the moment I am in the sanctification phase of salvation. If I have been legitimately born-again, I will be persevering to the death, at which time I will go to be with Jesus in heaven for a while, until my resurrection, which will be glorification.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

Number of posts : 5020
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 pm

wiremu.white wrote:
MetLHed4GZus wrote:
How did you guys get saved? Who shared the gosple with you? where were you? What was going through your mind? etc.

Mine isnt that amzing but ill share it anyway. Basically I grew up in a Christian home. I was 5 years old in kids church. The preacher had an altar call and I responded. And I was sincere and it stuck easily.

But I do have a tesatimony, my testimony is that I have stayed strong in my faith this long Smile. It doersnt matter that I was saved at such a young age.

I'm still in the process of being saved. But if you specifically mean how was I born-again, well:

• Predestination
  • Election
  • Calling
  • Regeneration
  • Faith
  • Repentance
  • Justification
  • Sanctification
  • Perseverance
  • Glorification

I started having some questions trying to form a worldview when I was about 6 or 7. I read some of the Bible, and learned about sin and the lake of fire. I thought there was something inherently wrong with me and was worried. My parents told me about asking Jesus into my heart, but I didnt really get what this was about. I assumed so long as I stayed away from certain sins, I would go to heaven.

Fast forward a few years, I started committing those certain sins. Still trying to be good enough for heaven, but it wasnt working out.

Somewhere later I learned about original sin and that we need to be born-again, that salvation wasnt by willpower but by God's grace through Christ, who died for sin. I heard the gospel like this a few years ago. I had thought Christ simply died as an example to motivate you to be good, but not to actually pay for your sin. I'd say I was born-again sometime after learning about this. I read Romans 7 as an account of an unregenerate person, rather than a regenerate. If you read Romans 7 as an account of a regenerate person, I would perhaps say I was born again at around age 6 or 7.

I started trusting in Christ for my salvation, rather than my willpower, in my early 20s. I had already been trying to stop sinning, so I'm not sure if I started genuinely repenting or whatever, but I started having an interest in theology. I am repenting of trusting in works or trying to build up a credit to get me through on judgment day, as I used to do.

At the moment I am in the sanctification phase of salvation. If I have been legitimately born-again, I will be persevering to the death, at which time I will go to be with Jesus in heaven for a while, until my resurrection, which will be glorification.

Hope this helps.
yikes, you m,ight open up a can of worms with that post lol. Ill keep quiet though Smile
Back to top Go down
CorpulentCripple

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:14 pm

wiremu.white wrote:
MetLHed4GZus wrote:

• Predestination
  • Election
  • Calling
  • Regeneration
  • Faith
  • Repentance
  • Justification
  • Sanctification
  • Perseverance
  • Glorification

Hope this helps.

Amazing boldness, here here
Back to top Go down
BryneVampyr

BryneVampyr

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:21 pm

I don't ever remember a time when I was not saved. I was raised in the church since babyhood and I always remember loving Jesus.

I do want to say, that though my journey was not the exact same as Necromanicide, I agree with his take on things 100%.

I came to faith through the teaching of His Word by my parents at an age too young to remember. I was baptized at age 10. I was confirmed at age 38 into my current church. I experienced my first non-symbolic Eucharist on December 19, 2004 (or perhaps prior to that when I was in Saudi Arabia...not sure...I would have to ask God about that one)

I confess my sins and receive absolution weekly and am nourished by the Lord's Supper and the proclamation of Gospel weekly, and nourished by the Scripture daily. This is all part of my current Journey.

And though I say that I am saved, I also believe that I am being saved...I think both are true.
Back to top Go down
Exquisite Corpse

Exquisite Corpse

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:32 pm

BryneVampyr wrote:
And though I say that I am saved, I also believe that I am being saved...I think both are true.

I believe that too, in faith in Christ, from His grace Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.love146.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you guys get saved?   How did you guys get saved? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How did you guys get saved?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: Christian Discussion-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com