BlabberBoard - Archives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-----------------------------------------------------

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sega returning to console market?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

Number of posts : 1916
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Sega returning to console market? Vide
PostSubject: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 am

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10158267-17.html?tag=mncol;posts

CNET wrote:
If you've read the Digital Home for the past two years, you probably know that I hold a special place in my heart for Sega. I was always a heavy Genesis user and subsequent to that, I owned every console Sega released. That's precisely why a report from Siliconera has me excited.

According to the publication, Sega has trademarked two names, "Ringwide" and "Ringedge," as well as a logo containing rings. The trademark clearly says that the names will be used for "arcade game boards...stand alone video game machines, [or] arcade game machines with built-in screens."

So what can this mean? Obviously it's too early to tell, but some are saying that it could be Sega's return to the arcade business. I'm sure they would get excited about that, but the arcade business is a shadow of its former self. Since console gaming became a mainstay, it has lost much of its importance. I just don't see Sega investing in the arcade business.

But what if this filing is for a top-secret console the company is developing to compete with the next-generation of hardware? Will Ringwide or Ringedge take on the Wii 2, PlayStation 4, and Xbox 720?

I certainly hope so.

I not only think Sega can make a triumphant return to the console business, I think it could be one of the best moves the company could make.

As a software developer, Sega has lost much of its appeal. Sonic games aren't nearly as fun as they once were on the Genesis or Dreamcast and major Sega franchises like Shenmue have been all but forgotten by the company.

But if it developed a console to compete with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, I think Sega could turn things around. Granted, its executives have said on numerous occasions that they are happy developing games, but the company still enjoys an almost mystical reputation in the market and its following is still loyal.

For those of us who grew up in the days of Genesis-SNES wars, the very thought of a new Sega console gets us excited. If Sega announced its intention to get back into the console market at this year's E3, I'd fully expect fanboys from Japan to Europe to North America to stand in unison and cheer wildly after hearing the news. It would be a monumental announcement that would put Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo on notice: Sega is back.

I'm fully aware that getting into the console market now is dangerous. Nintendo is enjoying incredible success and the once-dominant PlayStation is trying desperately to keep up with competitors. Some might think that there isn't any room in the market for another player. I disagree.

Sega has a loyal following that has been asking for a new console from the company ever since the Dreamcast was discontinued. Sega also understands how to be successful in the hardware business and has the first-party properties in place to be a major competitor to Nintendo's lineup on launch day.

Sega also has learned from its past mistakes. It now knows not to release a console the same day it's announced to a select group of retailers and it now knows to start playing nice with developers. It now knows that to be successful, it doesn't need to be the first console out of the gate, but it certainly needs to provide the most innovative and fun gameplay.

But time is running out. Sega may be loved by millions across the globe who still hold their Genesis and Dreamcast in high regard, but our memories fade and we move on to new things. If Sega waits too long to release a console or doesn't release a device at all, an entirely new generation of gamers will mature in an age where they will never know Sega as anything but a software developer. Once that happens, the importance (and appeal) of a new Sega console would be lost on them.

That's why Sega needs to act now. It needs to announce Ringwide or Ringedge at E3 this year and finally stake its claim to the hardware business.

Bring on the Ringwide, Sega. We've been waiting long enough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.metalblessingradio.com
laurenwrites

laurenwrites

Number of posts : 3763
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Interesting. Don't know if it's a good idea to put something out now... but I'll be watching the E3 coverage to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lae1218
blackearth

blackearth

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:38 pm

I think this guys is mental. There's already 3 well established game consoles out there, you really think people are going to embrace a 4th?
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/blackearth
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:40 pm

This is the first time there has ever been 3 consoles in the market as opposed to 4 actually.
Back to top Go down
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Also its doubtful that they are working on arcade technology. With people having Xbox 360s and PS3s in their homes, arcades are rather empty. I guess time will tell, if they did jump back into the hardware market I would definitely buy one. I'm a long time Sega fan.
Back to top Go down
TheDarkSlayer

TheDarkSlayer

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Sega has got to make a next-gen console! ...Shenmue III has to be released on somthing!! ...Hey metalblessing. since you got a dreamcase recently, if you haven't play Shenmue...please do...so I can have someone else to talk about this amazing game with!!....please
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Gorlim - I still don't have Shenmue for my DC - is it really THAT good? I hear all kinds of things from "It's brilliant!" to "It's meh". What's so great about it that I need to track it down?

Metal Blessing wrote:
Also its doubtful that they are working on arcade technology. With people having Xbox 360s and PS3s in their homes, arcades are rather empty. I guess time will tell, if they did jump back into the hardware market I would definitely buy one. I'm a long time Sega fan.

Arcades are still widely popular in Japan, however, which is Sega's biggest market. I could see a new arcade hardware set to follow up their previous successes such as the System 16, ST-V (Sega Saturn) and Naami (Dreamcast) boards LONG before I could see a new console. In addition, the Ringwide and Ringedge names SUCK BEYOND THE TELLING OF IT, and I have a feeling after at least marketable names like Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast that SEGA would go down the path of insanity with a HORRIBLE name like that. Granted, those names are probably a take-off on the Sonic the Hedgehog property, but a console w/ a name like that is very nearly doomed to failure just by virtue of the lame name. Also, a name like that has no imagery with it, which is what current consoles have:

Xbox - the "X" is for Extreme, no doubt
PlayStation - obviously this is an entertainment device
Wii - "We" as in multi-player interactive, get it? LOL

My guess is that Ringwide or Ringedge are something to do either w/ a new Sonic arcade title, or perhaps just a piece of hardware named after their flagship IP. The other possibility is that it's a new game where the whole "ring" thing plays a part, possibly similar to the Dance Dance Revolution games, but involving some kind of ring controller or concept - a virtual hula hoop contest perhaps (shudder)? Either way, SEGA's re-entry into the console market may be timely at this point, but ill-advised due to the global economic climate (even though Wii's are still flying off shelves), and the fact that enough SEGA fans were burnt by the early demise & poor marketing of the Saturn that many didn't take to the DC; they decided to wait until the PS2 came out because they didn't want to get burned twice. My guess is, enough adult gamers like me who love both their Saturn and/or their Dreamcast would give them another chance, but many younger gamers might not be so forgiving.

Still, SEGA has fiercely loyal fans world-wide. There are TONS of websites dedicated to SEGA gaming, most of them from the Genesis era, though there are a handful of Saturn and DC websites, and even a couple that laud the SMS. Lets not forget system16.com, which is the home of all things SEGA arcade. If they did it right, brought the system home w/ the right combination of old-school gaming fun, new-school innovation, graphics, audio, and wide-ranging age appeal (like the Wii), they could do it, and I'd be behind them. I haven't purchased a current gen console yet mostly due to financial factors, but also because I usually prefer to wait until a system's software library is mature enough that there are games I will want to play. I steer clear of the mainstream titles for the most part, because sports, racing, and most FPS games don't appeal to me. I'm an old-school gamer: give me my 2-D action/adventure games, my scrolling shooters (Gradius, R-Type, et al), some 3-D platformers ala Spyro the Dragon, good puzzlers like Bust a Move and a good mid-level RPG to sink my teeth into, and I'll be good to go. Throw in some free downloadable content (now that everything is online), licensing deals to allow me to play some older games on my system, either via anthologies or downloads, and (GASP!) even consider backwards compatibility w/ the Saturn and/or Dreamcast (maybe even Sega CD!), and I'd be sold. I'd be saving my pennies to be there in line at the Wal-Mart or Best Buy on the first day, or get my pre-order on w/ GameStop so I could have it at launch. Sure, the launch titles are usually crap compared to what comes w/in the first 6 months to a year, but as a long-time SEGA fan and supporter (I do own 3 SEGA consoles, after all), I'd be happy to help set them back on the path to console success in the US. I just fear that it may be too little, too late.

Phew, I wasn't planning on writing an essay! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://metalfroreview.blogspot.com
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Yeah, Sega has their own unique style of gaming. I agree that the name sucks, and if it did in fact turn out to be an arcade board it could still end up being a console. Last time they made the Naomi board and used the same board for the Dreamcast to make arcade ports easier. I've been browsing the Sega forums and some people are saying they doubt it because Sega is not exactly rolling in cash like in the early 90s. They actually killed the DC because they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

The name "Ringwide" makes me think of like an Arcade network. where you could play say...Virtua Fighter at the arcade with someone at another arcade across the world. "Ring" as in like a boxing ring, and "wide" as in all over the world. But thats just a guess.

TheDarkSlayer wrote:
Sega has got to make a next-gen console! ...Shenmue III has to be released on somthing!! ...Hey metalblessing. since you got a dreamcase recently, if you haven't play Shenmue...please do...so I can have someone else to talk about this amazing game with!!....please

And yes, Shenmue is awesome. I played it years ago and it was great, I picked it back up the other day and am playing through it again. I dont remember much of the story.
Shenmue was THE Dreamcast title to have. I Think it was a launch title too

I think of how Shenmue was so early in the Dreamcast's life, and how incredible it was. Then I wonder what the dreamcast would have been capable of a down the road. Because typically a console progresses over time as developers find ways to squeeze more out of the system.

If Shenmue was a launch title just think how awesome of games the DC would have if it stayed in the race drool
Back to top Go down
criesfrommypast

criesfrommypast

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:50 am

I can understand why they stopped making the dreamcast, but I cannot figure out why they stopped developing games for it. From its initial sales it was obvious that there were a ton of dreamcasts out there. Why not sell off all the old stock and keep putting games out on the console? There were tons of multi console games coming out that could easily have gone on the dreamcast. Im sure there was a ton of stuff behind the scenes I dont know about, but I remember being very upset with the dreamcasts death.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:51 am

^^ They were on the verge of bankruptcy, and the proprietary GD-ROM disc format is a part of that. There are still indie developers making games for it (the indie 2-D shooter "Dux" should be coming out soon, I hope - I've been waiting on a release date for that thing for a LONG time).
Back to top Go down
criesfrommypast

criesfrommypast

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Yeah ive collected alot of the indy games. The GD ROM format was pretty crappy since it was so easily copied. I learned about a year ago you can just download dreamcast games off the internet and burn them to a CD and they work. That just blew my mind. Granted they had to reduce the video and sound quality to get the games to fit, but still.
I enjoy playing a DC port of Wolf 3D Smile
Back to top Go down
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:21 am

Yeah, thats one reason why Dreamcast is one of the more popular "homebrew" consoles. CD-Rs can ruin your Dreamcast over time though. Thats how my first Dreamcast died. I was playing a burned European import of Headhunter.

Here is the reason I have read:

CD-Rs are not as reflective as silver discs, and forces the laser to work harder, also when playing a legit game the laser takes breaks from loading and caches or whatever. But on a CD-R the laser stays on constantly, thus wearing the laser out faster. This will eventually be evidenced by your DC not reading discs anymore.

this is why I am planning on buying a spare DC. 1 for my normal games and another for my copy of Headhunter and any new releases (since many are done on cd-rom rather than gd-rom)
Back to top Go down
criesfrommypast

criesfrommypast

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Yeah I noticed that too, its actually better for Homebrew games than DC backups, as they dont have to read to disc as much as a commercial burned game would. Im still actively looking for real commercial dreamcast games also. Something that sucks though is a few times ive bought games online and when I get them, they are burned "backups". That is really frustrating, so for the time being im just limited to what I have in my local shops.
Back to top Go down
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Dux has lots of purdy colors. I cant wait to play it.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/DUX
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO

MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

criesfrommypast wrote:
Yeah ive collected alot of the indy games. The GD ROM format was pretty crappy since it was so easily copied. I learned about a year ago you can just download dreamcast games off the internet and burn them to a CD and they work. That just blew my mind. Granted they had to reduce the video and sound quality to get the games to fit, but still.
I enjoy playing a DC port of Wolf 3D Smile

Have you tried Beats of Rage? If not, go for it! Awesome beat-em-up in the Streets of Rage tradition, and TONS of hilarious mods for it (Mega Man mod FTW!).
Back to top Go down
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Funny that you mention that MetalFro, I have been reading up on Beats of Rage lately trying to find info on how to mod it, and how easy it is.
Back to top Go down
criesfrommypast

criesfrommypast

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Yeah ive played BOR, I also have Castlevania Symphony of Destruction Smile Its a Symphony of the Night Mod.
Back to top Go down
Napalm Dave37

Napalm Dave37

Number of posts : 2420
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:52 am

this post is awesome, i remember having the sega channel way back when, and my dads house was always a pro sega pad, we had sega cd, gensis and master system, where at my moms house we had mostly nintendo and ps1, ps2, dreamcast ruled and its shortlife was sad, as was gamecubes, i am an avid ninten and sega fan
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dave80tunes
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:05 am

Sega and Nintendo are the only two remaining "pure" game companys, meaning that games is all they do. Microsoft and Sony do more than just games. Sega and Nintendo now seem to have a pretty good business relationship, I think it would be interesting to see the two of them merge to take on Sony and Microsoft.

With Nintendo's innovation and Sega's great line-up of game franchises they could pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 10:09 am

This has nothing directly to do with Sega, but it was on the front page of yahoo the other day as "Unlikely console revival: Dreamcast". I found this on the Sega forums, and thought I'd share it.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-42/1310463
Back to top Go down
Jim

Jim

Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 1:39 pm

Personally i don't think their's any competion for Xbox, PS3 and Wii.

Cause 1: PS3's are dreadful. The games are bad, the system is flat, the consoles gigantic, you can't play Ps2 games on it. Overall rubbish.

Xbox is King.

and the Wii gets boring after a few months after you've got over the whole Wii sports and the controllers. Once again no good games really. All for Kid's not for real gamers.

So i'd like to see what they come up with cause anything can top a PS3 and Wii
Back to top Go down
http://www.holynightclothing.com
Metal Blessing

Metal Blessing

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 1:44 pm

I think the Dreamcast is gaining popularity due to the economic status, and people are looking for cheaper alternatives. And I must say, since I re-acquired a Dreamcast I have been having more fun with it than I did with my Xbox. Thats just me though, Dreamcast had unique games
Back to top Go down
mazzie

mazzie

Number of posts : 5090
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Jim,

I TOTALLY disagreed w/ you. I LOVE my PS3. My PS3 CAN play PS2 although I do admit the newer versions of PS3 doesnt' play ps2 anymore. However, it still is very very useful. I can play DVDs or Blu Ray on it...also, so far PS3 still is considered best blu ray player on the market. It has way less bugs and I never had ANY problem with it at all.

I'm proud to say I am satisfied with just PS3 and am not going to buy another xbox 360(one i had totally fried..ring of death Razz )
Back to top Go down
http://mazziereviewmusic.blogspot.com
MetalMatt

MetalMatt

Number of posts : 5020
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Fri May 08, 2009 9:33 pm

mazzie wrote:
Jim,

I TOTALLY disagreed w/ you. I LOVE my PS3. My PS3 CAN play PS2 although I do admit the newer versions of PS3 doesnt' play ps2 anymore. However, it still is very very useful. I can play DVDs or Blu Ray on it...also, so far PS3 still is considered best blu ray player on the market. It has way less bugs and I never had ANY problem with it at all.

I'm proud to say I am satisfied with just PS3 and am not going to buy another xbox 360(one i had totally fried..ring of death Razz )
just call 1-800-4myxbox and they'll replace it for free
Back to top Go down
Tracker

Tracker

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Xbox 360 has been superior for the amount of good games out for it, PS3, not so much, though 360 has been shown to be inferior in construction (though the first Xbox was quite reliable)

As far as Sega, they really shouldn't bother returning to a crowded market, 360 is doing the best overall, though PS3 has a nice bonus with not having to pay for online gaming and Nintendo is making a nice cash return because Wii has inferior hardware of the other two consoles. I enjoyed Dreamcast and still have one, but honestly, both the Saturn and the Dreamcast ultimately tanked, that's not a good sign to have two console failures as your legacy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sega returning to console market?   Sega returning to console market? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sega returning to console market?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlabberBoard - Archives :: General Discussion :: Everything Else :: Gaming Zone-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com